Considering switch in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyro9097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am presently attempting to do a fishless cycle in my 25 gallon tank. I am using the filter that came with the kit that I bough and was just hoping that it would be sufficient (Even after doing some reading). Now I am reconsidering that choice, but I am already a month into this and starting to get nitrItes, so I obviously do not want to have to start over again.

From reading posts on here, it seems that a good filter to go with would be an AquaClear 30 (Would this be the most appropriate choice?). I would rather make the change now before I have any fish in there so that their transition is as smooth as possible once I go and get them.

The current filter sits in the corner of the tank attached to the wall and has a carbon cartridge based system. My main question is how do I go about making a successful transition? Do I have to wait until the cycle is complete? Or should I get the new filter and just run both? I do not want to do that and then take away the old one and effectively throw away the BB!

Thanks so much in advance!

Dear Pyro9097,

The Aqua CLear is a super filter and the 30 would probably suit your needs as long as you are not intending a single goldie in your 25 gallon, where I would recommend moving up one size...

I have a number of them and they work well. You would add the AC to your present filter set-up and continue on in the fishless cycle.

If you are lucky you might be able to just run the AC alone once it has cycled...if not you could run them in tandem for a couple of months and then the AC should be able to do it by itself. If there is other media--bio balls, etc, besides the charcoal in the 1st filter, you could also add that to the AC to hold the cycle.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks so much Chris! I am planning on doing a community tank so I guess the AC30 should suffice. Or at least I hope so, I ordered one last night (I want to get this rolling ASAP).

As far as other filter material in the original filter, no luck. I guess I'll just run them concurrently for a few months and then maybe use the original for a smaller tank? Maybe a QT/Hospital set up?

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom