Contemplating a stock change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Too lazy to get a picture at the moment but my 20g long is medium planted, rocks and driftwood, fluval c2 filter and a large sponge filter rated for 20g. Kept at 74F and established since this January.

Current stock:
x8 CPDs
x4 corydoras habrosus (was once 9 or 10, details below)
x1 marble wood shrimp
x1 zebra nerite snail
x1 horned nerite snail
x15-20 RCS

Currently in QT to be added:
x3 sparkling gourami
x2 corydoras habrosus

This is less of a "what happened to my cories" thread and more of a possible game plan. I got a batch of 11 dainty cories before I got my CPDs and tried to qt them. One by one, they slowly started dying, and all of them died before their 30-day qt period was over. No visible signs of disease or injury, no water quality issues.

I got another batch of apparently 10 but I never saw any more than 9 in my 20g long w/ the CPDs (maybe the lfs guy miscounted, either way!) I know I lost 2 or 3 to my filter intake, but I put a stocking over it so issue is not resolved. Sometime last week I lost another cory too, and again, inspected the body...nothing. Checked my water params: 0/0/5. I guess they're small enough that if they died in the back of the tank somewhere the shrimp would just eat the remains???? Cause I only have 4 now :( Even when I attempted to beef up their numbers by placing 3 in qt, 1 died a day or two after I got them.

I feel like after the qt process (the remaining 2 seem fine), if they drop back down to 4 or 3 even, I might want to round them up and trade/donate them for something else. Don't get me wrong, I love these cute little guys! But it's so sad to see them keep dying. Perhaps it's my lfs' supplier, but I've never had any issues with this particular store. The dainty cories are also wild-caught.

ANYWAY. Other than adding the sparkling gouramis, I'm looking to add maybe 7 or 8 lebuka dadiburjori as a top-level schooler to help the CPDs be a little bolder. If the cories don't work out for me, I'm thinking of going for rosy loaches. Anyone have any experience with them? Would my middle layer be too crowded? Any advice appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom