Conundrum: GSA in a high light/Co2 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullyboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a conundrum, i have a tank that requires high Light and Co2 however ive got Green Spot Algae on my glass and some of my plants.

I dont want to decrease the light because im already running at minimum and its not going away, and my plants are suffering for it.

Ive heard that increased Phosphate can make a difference?
Any other ideas, it has decided to start attaching to leaves as well

How high light? Why? What are you dosing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How high light? Why? What are you dosing?

Low tech, 20gal with high light (2 Finnex planted plus, idk the exact PAR) Flourish and K dosage per bottle recommendations, No Co2 used.

Low tech, 20gal with high light (2 Finnex planted plus, idk the exact PAR) Flourish and K dosage per bottle recommendations, No Co2 used.

Well there's your problem right there lol. You've got massive amount of light coming down on the plants but without correct fertilization and Co2, or lack thereof, youre causing a major imbalance with the plants and ecosystem.
It seems to me like youre trying to pull of two different types of set ups in one tank and i dont think that can work. You can either begin injecting or dosing Co2 (which would bring you up to high/med tech tank) or take away some (a lot) of the light bringing it back down to a low to medium tech.
By having more light than ferts and Co2 combined, your plants cant execute their photosynthetic duties as usual. Think of this as a balance or ratio: your light cant be too much or too little, same with ferts and Co2, or youre bound to get algae, like had happened.
I personally recommend taking away light or adding Co2, this will begin to correct the imbalance.

Well there's your problem right there lol. You've got massive amount of light coming down on the plants but without correct fertilization and Co2, or lack thereof, youre causing a major imbalance with the plants and ecosystem.
It seems to me like youre trying to pull of two different types of set ups in one tank and i dont think that can work. You can either begin injecting or dosing Co2 (which would bring you up to high/med tech tank) or take away some (a lot) of the light bringing it back down to a low to medium tech.
By having more light than ferts and Co2 combined, your plants cant execute their photosynthetic duties as usual. Think of this as a balance or ratio: your light cant be too much or too little, same with ferts and Co2, or youre bound to get algae, like had happened.
I personally recommend taking away light or adding Co2, this will begin to correct the imbalance.
Thanks, ive thought the same about lighting.
For the last couple weeks ive been running just one 24" finnex P+ and an old T8...still seeing growth of GSA.

I think im gonna cut the T8 out as well and see. (Just because im concerned about plants getting the proper spectrum)

If not than ill just have to get enother Co2 system set up.

I tried the same setup and even with co2 flying and full dosing It went green fast, couldn't save it..

One planted plus on a 20 tall can do work, I was growing dhg in sand with one.

Back
Top Bottom