converting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stonecutter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i need to know what to do, im converting a salt water 55 gallon to a freshwater. i need to know what to clean i with and all..

thanks

Welcome to AA. Hopefully someone who's been through this before will chime in. I have no experience, but would recommend vinegar and water, 1:20, and a lot of rinsing.

thanks im hoping someone will too...its just sitting outside right now. i would like to get to it. so i can get it up and running

I'm not a saltwater keeper but in my very humble opinion I believe you just need to wash most everything with hot water to get all the build up off, and put in new filter media.I say most because I would not use any of the crushed coral or sand form the previous tank, those things have a tendency to keep the Ph up on the high end. And now since you are going freshwater you will not need any of those fancy bulbs needed for a SW tank. Trade up or sell your old set ... think of the money you can save. - hope this helps :D

A couple really good rinse and drys should be all you need unless you have coraline algae build up which a razor scraper will do the trick, but be careful in the corners to not cut the silicone. use a tooth brush or other similar nylon bristle scrubby brush to get any off the silicone. this is of course assuming it's a glass tank.

Back
Top Bottom