Converting Gars diet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaysonS

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering, how is it that I could maybe slowly change my Gars diet from the feeders to some pellets? He doesn't seem to want them now.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if you could switch them to just pellets. You could definitely train them to take frozen foods. To do that use feeder tongs to dangle it and create movement.. Eventually they'll learn to take it. But pellets alone doesn't seem like a good diet.
Did you plan on feeding anything else with the pellets?

A gar is going to take nothing but live food, maybe some frozen, but I've never heard of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was thinking of trying some hikari carnivore pellets. I've seen others use them. It's just a pain because my LFS is almost 20 minutes away

I'm just trying to limit the amount of times I am riding all the way there.

It's not likely. And it definitely wouldn't be healthy for that to be it's only diet. Do you have a spare 10 you could set up to house them in?
We go an hour each week to ours and pick up a few dozen at a time. If you can find another purpose to go there or someplace nearby it's not bad.

You can breed guppies along with buying feeders and reduce some trips to the lfs.

Frozen shrimp on a skewer and then putting floating sticks. I trained my three gars to eating floating sticks. Alligator gar, spotted and long nose gar to eat them without a problem. It took me three months to do this but it was fun to do. I did put some feeders in there too every other day cause it was fun to watch with all of them but patience is key.

I converted one of my grass pickerel to pellets by using feeders that were the same size as the pellet sticks and holding them at the surface. He got to where he'd hit them as soon as they hit the water. At that point all I had to do was replace the feeder with a pellet stick.

Back
Top Bottom