Converting my small tank to QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremenewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, currently I own a 6g and a 2-3g tank. Both are filled up (one community, one betta, respectively). However, the more I'm continuing to read up on fish, the more paranoid I'm getting with whether or not my fish have some disease. Atm, I'm suspecting a cardinal with NTD (his neon stripe has become less neon and more blue), thinking about a cardinal that stays in one area and doesn't school often, and my female betta that I think may have ich (can see the tiny grain like things on her tail) :?

Problem is, the other tank is currently occupied by a male betta. Being territorial, I don't think introducing it to the 6g (5 cardinals, 1 female betta) would be too good. However, he's still quite young (few months) and small, and the 6g tank's got a fair few hiding spots. I'm thinking of experimenting to see his (and the other fish's) reaction, unless some1 who knows better can tell me it would be flat out inhumane to do so.

Thinking also of getting a 10g+ tank in the future (as you may guess, not much room), so I guess QT'in would be more important with 2 tanks n more inhibitants. That and I can't really keep much in that 2-3g (main reason I've kept it running is due to sentimental value - was a gift). Just thinking of keeping it empty, and floating a sponge in an established tank to keep it seeded with bacteria when I need to set it up again as a QT.

extremenewb said:
Problem is, the other tank is currently occupied by a male betta. Being territorial, I don't think introducing it to the 6g (5 cardinals, 1 female betta) would be too good. However, he's still quite young (few months) and small, and the 6g tank's got a fair few hiding spots.

I wouldn't add him in. Especially if you think one of the fish in the 6 has ich. And he would terrorize the female betta. Having an extra tank is always a good idea. If you can get the ten gallon and a spare heater and maybe a little sponge or hob filter, I would do it.
Here is an article on quarantine tanks. Good luck to you.

I would not add the male betta to the tank with the female betta and cardinals either. I have seen a group of neon (I think, maybe they were cardinals) tetras "gang up" on and nip a betta. This was at the hatchery I go to, and the betta was moved when I saw this. Also, male and female bettas should not be kept together except to breed, and then they would be separated shortly afterwards. They could become very aggressive together.

I think the smaller tank would be a great QT tank. My QT tank is a 2.5 gallon MiniBow aquarium. It comes with a Whisper filter and I added a 25-watt heater. This filter is ok for the QT purpose, but I like sponge filters better for bettas. The betta I had in there seemed happy for the few weeks he was in there. I think it's good to keep it for a QT tank for the betta and your cardinals. But I don't think it's big enough for a betta's full-time home. I think from another post, you said a tank kit like an Eclipse is not available where you live. So like Meredith said, a 10 gallon tank, sponge filter and heater is a good betta home, and easy and cheap to set up. My bettas are in 5 gallon tanks and that is fine for them too. (I can fit more 5 gallon tanks on my counter, and have more bettas that way!)

Thanks for the responses. I think the female betta is currently the "bully" in the tank atm. yea I think introducing the male betta would be kinda stupid now that I thought of it again :oops:

I'm actually concerned it could be velvet. They look like yellow tiny dots. It's currently on its tail, and although it seems to have dimished a bit since I did the PWC, I think i should treat it. Would something like protozin be ok?

The male seems to be ok for the moment. Though something more pressing is the 2 goldies I was given. My auntie didn't realise my tanks were full, and got me 2 goldies which I need to find a home for. :eek: Also didn't have the heart to refuse, but tried to imply she should check with me first before something like that. :? Currently, I'm doing 100% water changes daily for a 15L bucket and feeding very sparingly. I'm looking at buying a Aqua One AR-510, and so you guys have a feel for how much things are here in Australia in terms of fish rearing, this is an ad of whiat I'm intending to get (and its a pretty good price too):

AR510 75 litres 51x34x56H cm includes lighthood and top filter, media, and powerhead $329.00 which equates to around US$250.

https://www.newzealandwebhosting.co...31&PHPSESSID=c97f8fa7505198f11467c91a44825e39

So soon I'd be thinking about an emergency goldfish setup. sigh. there goes all my money.. lol

Do you have to keep the goldfish? I know it was a gift, but perhaps you could exchange them for store credit at your lfs. Would your auntie understand?

Back
Top Bottom