Converting to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am going to convert my 10 gal (pair of kribs - hoping to breed and two corys) from gravel to sand this weekend. This will be my first tank with sand (other 4 tanks have gravel). I have purchased pool filter sand from a pool company in town. Just wondering how deep the sand should be in the tank and if the fish can be added as soon as the sand has settled (I will wash the sand first). The tank is currently planted with my crypts, anubais and java fern. Should anything be added to the sand which would benefit the plants?? Is it a good idea to have some trumpet snails in the tank to sift the sand around?? Thanks in advance, (PS very excited about my new and unexpected purchase at the Edmonton Aquarium Society auction this past weekend - gold nugget pleco - I'm not even a pleco fan but he is something else!!)

The sand depth is entirely up to you. I have a 3 inch bed in my tanks so it can be landscaped how I want. I have dips in the sand and made mounds. It just gives you more sand to play with. Just be sure to run your hand or a clean, never used chop stick (that's what I use) through the sand about every two weeks to a month. This way gas pockets don't form and cause problems.

The fish can be added as soon as the sand settles. Pool filter sand is heavier and generally settles within minutes. Mine settled in the 10 gal before I could get the heater and plants in place.

I'm not sure about the plants since none of mine are planted. Hopefully someone else can chime in and assist you with that.

Snails that can be used to mix the sand are MTS snails. Most lfs give them away free. I put about 10 of them in my 29 gal, and they still haven't reproduced but they do a good job at keeping the sand mixed. My African Cichlids ate the 10 that I put in their tank. I'm not too sure if the kribs will eat the snails or not.

PS- I love gold nugget pleco's, then again I am baised. I LOVE Pleco's. I wish more fish looked and swam like they do. :D

Back
Top Bottom