convicts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
a friend of mine has a bunch of convict cichlid babies, and she wants me to take a few. she said some of them are pink, but i thought they were only black and white? any thoughts of 3 or 4 convicts in with 11 tetras and 3 pitbull plecos?? i don't know much about them, but i wanted a third kind of fish and she wants to give them to me free. it's a 20 gallon high tank.

IMO, convicts will quickly overpopulate a 20. You will be the one in a few months scrambling to give them away.

3 plecos in a 20 is already probably pushing it.

they are pitbull plecos, parotocinclus jumbo. they get to 2-3 inches, max. we were going to only get one but they live better in groups.

I thought convicts were aggressive? I don't know what would happen with the tetras. They might get too big as well. You could get a pair and try it but you might be risking some fin nippage. JMO though, I am not too keen on cichlids.

I know the species and they are messy fish regardless of length. We have a single clown pleco (2 1/2") in a 20 with PFS and the amount of poop produced daily is amazing! I've also never heard they prefer groups since most plecos are pretty solitary in the wild, but I'm not sure about the paros.

I'll never recommend mollies for a 10 or cons for a 20, they reproduce almost as readily. I have no doubt that you could keep them well. I've just seen a ton of free convicts posted and I'd hate for you to put yourself into a stressful position.

I thought convicts were aggressive? I don't know what would happen with the tetras. They might get too big as well. You could get a pair and try it but you might be risking some fin nippage. JMO though, I am not too keen on cichlids.

:crazyeyes: What? You just haven't met the right cichlids! lol

yea, i wasn't too keen on the idea anyway. that is why we didn't get guppies, cause we weren't ready for all the babies. thanks for all the info.

the pitbull plecos are super similar to otocinclus, may be why they prefer groups?

I agree, if you are not planning on feeding fry to your other fish, cons may not be what you want... they are quite aggressive when spawning (which is most of the time, lol), and it can be quite hard to find homes for the fry. Most LFSs won't even take them for free.

yea, i thought you wanted rams though??? ;)

:crazyeyes: What? You just haven't met the right cichlids! lol

I meant knowledge wise lol. Keen probably wasn't the right word... I love cichlids, but I don't have a tank big enough for any. I will probably get a pair of rams or keyholes for my 30 and that's it. I would love to have a cichlid tank though! :cool:

I meant knowledge wise lol. Keen probably wasn't the right word... I love cichlids, but I don't have a tank big enough for any. I will probably get a pair of rams or keyholes for my 30 and that's it. I would love to have a cichlid tank though! :cool:

Whew! I thought you'd gone crazy on us! lol

actually to be honest, i'm not crazy about cichlids. i don't really like the idea of keeping aggressive fish. i really like community tanks. i like the peaceful ones :)

I love the variety of cichlids, but that is their down side: their aggression. That is about the only thing I know about them lol. Convicts are really cool though, too bad you couldn't get away with one. There are some shell dwelling ones (I don't remember which ones) that would go good in your tank size wise. I think all cichlids are aggressive when breeding though.

There is a JD (at least that's what I think it is) at one of my LFS' that is soooo mean. I feel so bad for him, he is in a tank with literally nothing but him. He tries to attack my finger everytime I go there. His eyes are like black too...

really? but the convicts are so small. I'm not gettin em anyway. just gonna stick with our tetras and pitbull plecs. can't wait to get em... the LFS is getting some in this week, but I feel like my tank isn't established enough and there won't be enough algae. could I just supplement with algae wafers or blanched zucchini?

That should be fine, I know some AE's are picky but I am sure the veggies will be accepted if not the wafers. I think you could put a cucumber slice in there even!

o, right now if the convicts are small, than yea i think you will be fine, but probably in a year when they get around 4-5inches, thats where i was thinking the problem would be, but right now i think you would be fine

Most cichlids grow quicker than that if properly fed and cared for. They'd be breeding in 2-3 months most likely.

Veggie substitutes should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom