Convicts Like heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I find my convicts hanging out round the heater. Tank is 78 degrees. All parameters are good, and they are fed well.

Should I raise temp a bit more or will they always like the warmer area?

Kevin

They might just like the area around it.

78 might be a bit cool, but it should be ok. You could raise it slowly and see if that does anything

Cons should be ok in any temps except extremes, they are cockroaches of the water...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Don't know your setup but you may have a pair ready to spawn on the heater. If the situation is warrented, I'd place a 4" flower pot on its side in the general area. If your covicts want to spawn they will clean it for a few days and go to town.

Ive never looked into the care required for convicts before, but am pretty familiar with keeping territorial fish. Would it be staying there because there isnt enough hiding spots or etc to feel secure? The only time ive noticed any of my mbuna cichlids staying behind by filter inlets or heaters is when ive introduced a new fish or a fish was being bullied excessively out of the usual tank space. But again, just a thought

All male convicts, and it's not a territorial as they all hang out there together or at least 3 out of 4.

As far as being cockroaches that might be a stretch. They are certainly somewhat sensitive to nitrates. They were also sensitive to some cooler temps I have mistakenly kept the tank at. I will probably raise the temp of the water a bit more. I thought I was reaching the high end.

Back
Top Bottom