Cool bottom feeder suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother likes catfish-looking bottom feeders, but any suggestion would be great! I have a 40 gallon tank, and was looking for suggestions!

Note: i already have a peacock eel, and i dont want corys, kuhlis (eel food), or catfish that get big!

I am looking into pitbull plecos and rams

Rams arent really bottom feeders. Have you thought about Shrimp? Although the peacock eel might get a little big and much of them, but Amano Shrimp might be to big for him. Maybe a pictus Catfish?

Ziggs180 said:
Rams arent really bottom feeders. Have you thought about Shrimp? Although the peacock eel might get a little big and much of them, but Amano Shrimp might be to big for him. Maybe a pictus Catfish?

Ya, rams arent, but i added that because they stay at the bottom, and could overstock that part of the tank:)

Amanos? That would be cool! My eel might go after them though, he can steal the entire bloodworm cube out of my hands easily lol.

Do pictus cats stay small enough? My bro would go crazy

There are hundreds of plecos out there to pick from. Personally, I love L066 and they are decently around $50 (for a pleco, of course). I think a more rare pleco would be really cool.

amano shrimp can get pretty big (Females are 3 inches long), but i dont know enough about the eels enough to know if they will be targets or not.

TheCrazyFishLady said:
There are hundreds of plecos out there to pick from. Personally, I love L066 and they are decently around $50 (for a pleco, of course). I think a more rare pleco would be really cool.

I was thinking pitbulls! Good algae eaters? Fun personalities?

Ziggs180 said:
amano shrimp can get pretty big (Females are 3 inches long), but i dont know enough about the eels enough to know if they will be targets or not.

3"?? Dang! Maybe ill look into those!

Oh, I've never kept one. I want to have a South American tank eventually and will be picking one of these up for sure. Sorry to recommend something I haven't had. They are pretty though!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Oh, I've never kept one. I want to have a South American tank eventually and will be picking one of these up for sure. Sorry to recommend something I haven't had. They are pretty though!

Haha thats okay! I am really thinking about them, and have heard they stay very small an like groups

Top out around five inches, from what I've read.

Amano shrimp scare me to death and they run on carpet like a cockroach. You should stay away from those :D

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Top out around five inches, from what I've read.

Amano shrimp scare me to death and they run on carpet like a cockroach. You should stay away from those :D

Hahah really?! Well, i will probably end up getting them. I have hatchetfish and an eel...so i usually have weird fish:) lol

Do they eat hair algae by chance?

I love amano shrimp. They usually keep everything but hard green algae down to almost nothing.

How about some smaller loaches like angelicus loaches or yoyo loaches? I love my angelicus loaches. They are just so playful and active.

There are dwarf chain loaches. They stay pretty small and are fun little guys. Not sure if they have the same temperament as other loaches. My skunk loaches do nip at my other fish at times, even though they are much smaller.

mudraker said:
I love amano shrimp. They usually keep everything but hard green algae down to almost nothing.

I would really like some! Do people on here sell them?

I like the idea of yoyo or zebras, but my bro doesnt:( i wish i could just take command lol

What about upside down catfish? I heard that if you get the actual one (not the hybrid) that it stays small. Not sure specifically how long, but i think at least 3 inches to 4 inches.. I'm not completely sure though. My upsidedown catfish is a hybrid or an asian upsidedown catfish..not sure which..and is about 4 to 5 inches right now.

Any smaller catfish suggestions? Like 4"?

Upside downs are pretty cool!

TheCrazyFishLady said:
The South American bumblebee catfish stay small. Like three inches, I think? Petsupermarket always has like thirty of them.

Really? Cool! Ive never heard of that store, but ill look into it.

Do these cats like numbers?

Back
Top Bottom