Cool fish nobody has heard about before

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman88888

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just stumbled across a fish I thought was awesome

The bumble bee grouper :)

I want one

I'm sure you guys know some cool rare fish that get overlooked

This to me is the coolest part of fish keeping... When you think you've seen almost everything... But then you discover there's so so much more

So yea, please share some unique fish ideas, and if you own them...
Please post some pics for everyone to see, I think we'd all love that :cool:

I just stumbled across a fish I thought was awesome

The bumble bee grouper :)

I want one

I'm sure you guys know some cool rare fish that get overlooked

This to me is the coolest part of fish keeping... When you think you've seen almost everything... But then you discover there's so so much more

So yea, please share some unique fish ideas, and if you own them...
Please post some pics for everyone to see, I think we'd all love that :cool:

ForumRunner_20131022_221742.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_221600.jpg

African leaf fish and african brown knife.
Most people think an african leaf is an african bush fish but they are very different. This is not a ctenpoma. They strictly eat live food and are one of the few truly predatory fish you can keep in a small (20 gallon plus) aquarium. They are also odd in hey hurt nothing they cant swallow and almost nothing hurts them except maybe at feeding time.
African brown knife is one of only 2 (that I know of) knifefish to keep in a community tank. The udulating long low fin is mesmerizing to watch. Other than this one fin they only have pectoral fins. No dorsal. They are also one of the smallest knifefish. Their behaviour can be quiet entertaining. I have had one the nosed any new inhabitants like (excuse me) but like a dog sniffing his new friends rear quarters. He also triednto eat ghost shrimp by biting them and shaking his head like a dog with a chew toy.
Btw the knifefish is by no means rare just overlooked.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131022_221152.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131022_221152.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 185
Lol, the first picture looks like the leafs riding the knife! Awesome pictures God.

Last edited:
There are albino knife fish, as well as zebras :)

I have 4 leopard ctenos :) ... And yea there's a bunch of leaf fish out there. I like the ones that are bright red almost

I wonder if mine hunt like yours. They sometimes bite the heads off the fish once they've caught it, and spit out the rest of the body .... Quite often actually... Is that odd? They do swallow a lot whole as well though ... And it's not that the fish is too big for them either ... Lol maybe they're too jam packed full of fish already to get another one in? LOL is that possible

I swear I saw my baby datnoid moww 8 little fish one after the other and the last one he couldn't even get in. He beat the fish against a rock until it stopped moving and never let go of it...

By bumble bee grouper, I think you are referring to Epinephelus lanceolatus (Queensland groper in my neck of the woods). Yes, the juveniles are cute, but they get way too big for an aquarium and shouldn't really be sold to hobbyists. By way too big I mean 9 feet long and over 650 pounds in weight.

Tony

There are albino knife fish, as well as zebras :)

I have 4 leopard ctenos :) ... And yea there's a bunch of leaf fish out there. I like the ones that are bright red almost

I wonder if mine hunt like yours. They sometimes bite the heads off the fish once they've caught it, and spit out the rest of the body .... Quite often actually... Is that odd? They do swallow a lot whole as well though ... And it's not that the fish is too big for them either ... Lol maybe they're too jam packed full of fish already to get another one in? LOL is that possible

I swear I saw my baby datnoid moww 8 little fish one after the other and the last one he couldn't even get in. He beat the fish against a rock until it stopped moving and never let go of it...

Do the zebras stay smallish and peaceful? Ive never heard of those.
Cnetos are very very different than african leaf fish. I like to say they are false leaf fish. They dont have the same kind of mouth. Mine only eat shrimp/fish whole. No biting lol
I want cnetos one day! What is he minimum tank size?

Ya I'm pretty sure the zebras don't grow larger than a foot.. They're expensive though

And I've heard of people keeping ctenos in a 20 gal... But my family of 4 are my favourite little buddies, so they got VIP tickets to my 125... Soon to be 240 long .... Well maybe not too soon. But one day :p

Lol I got them big enough so my barracudas couldn't eat them...

By bumble bee grouper, I think you are referring to Epinephelus lanceolatus (Queensland groper in my neck of the woods). Yes, the juveniles are cute, but they get way too big for an aquarium and shouldn't really be sold to hobbyists. By way too big I mean 9 feet long and over 650 pounds in weight.

Tony

Haha
Did not know that

Are they edible?

I want a lungfish
55080-004-189D5919.jpg

What size tank is your barracuda in?

He looks gorgeous.. His little snout is perfect

When I got mine they all had little snub noses :(
They must have gone through a lot and smashed their faces on a lot of glass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 108
Ohh... He's just a little guy eh :p
You're gunna need a bigger tank one day... Their so fast

My biggest is just about 9" now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 117
Ya I'm pretty sure the zebras don't grow larger than a foot.. They're expensive though

And I've heard of people keeping ctenos in a 20 gal... But my family of 4 are my favourite little buddies, so they got VIP tickets to my 125... Soon to be 240 long .... Well maybe not too soon. But one day :p

Lol I got them big enough so my barracudas couldn't eat them...

Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom