Cool Freshwater Fish List?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew Walters

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm looking for a list of freshwater species that will be happy and healthy in 68 degree water. I have a large tank (135 gallons), and for various reasons I don't want to heat it. I'm not crazy about goldfish.

Ideally, is there an online fish encyclopedia with reliable information about environmental needs? The only ones I find indicate Giant Danios need 72 degree water, when I've had them happy for years in 68 degree water.

I've had a plecostomus in this tank before at this temperature. I know some plecostomus can stand this temperature and some cannot. I pretty much need one to keep things clean. So info on which plecostomus can and can't stand 68 degrees would be particularly important.

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:
Welcome to AA :) Any particular reason you dont want to put a heater in it? Bluegill would be neat to have in there, but they get pretty big and messy so you probbly couldnt have more than 2 maybe 3 tops i wouldnt think... even a cheap heater would provide so many more options for fish

As far as the pleco, I find them to produce more waste than they clean up. If you have lots of uneaten food you shouldn't buy a fish to take care of that, just feed less. Its kind of like treating the symptoms but never fixing the root cause.

The plecostomus cleans the algae from the tank sides. There is some sunlight in that room, and it gets pretty green. I can clean it, or I can own a plecostomus, which I consider an extremely cool fish. I count on Cory Cats to keep the bottom clean, but you're right, overfeeding is bad for a dozen reasons and I try to avoid it.

But I need to get the right plecostomus for the temperature. Most of them are only really happy in quite warm water, but I know some can do fine at room temperature.

Andrew

What type of algae are you having problems with? I would never buy a fish to eat algae or clean up waste. I buy fish because I like the way they look or act. You can try decreasing your photo period and see if the algae subsides. You can also try planting the tank (will be limited in options) so the plants out compete the algae for nutrients. Just beware that some plecos will not even touch algae on the glass.

Maybe some others can chime in with some cold water pleco recommendations. I wish you the best in your adventures! :)

Types of Catfish

Glass Catfish - 68-79 degrees
Midnight Catfish 68-75 degrees
Butterfly " "
Indian " "
Green, Peppered Coryoras
Common Pleco (Hypostomus Plecostomus) 68-86 degrees
Two Spot Catfish

Everything else is like 72 degrees plus, even 68 degrees is the bottom end for all the fish listed...

Thanks!

Glass catfish are a shoe-in, kids love them.

Butterfly catfish are surface huggers, right? That's not great with the tank location.

I'll look into the others.

Where did you get the list?

Andrew

Books...I have a couple laying around...

I didn't really look into how big they got, what they eat, temperment or anything...just the Temp requirements

As for the butterfly catfish...they are tiny...I dont think they are what you think they are...there are many "Commonly Named Butterfly" type fish

Butterfly Peacock Chiclid
Butterfly Cichlid aka Ram
Butterfly Goldfish
Butterflyfish (What I think your thinking of)

You get the Picture

Back
Top Bottom