Cool pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xfactor6699

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm thinking about maybe getting a pleco I have a 40g hex what can I get I want something cool looking...

There are a wide variety of Plecos out there, but you should understand the different main types of plecos before you just pick a cool-looking one.

* Some plecos (esp. Common) grow to enormous sizes, while others stay small. Pay attention to sizes.

* There are plecos that eat algae and veggies, but there are other plecos that are wood-chewers or pure scavengers and won't sustain on Veggies only.

* Some plecos are fine with being out and about during the day - but quite a few of the more decorative plecos are actually nocturnal - so you may never see them out in the open when the lights are on.

Pleco's have a large bio-load for their size, but the smaller plecs are great in a tank that size. I highly recommend pitbull pleco's. They are the smallest I've kept, right around 3" with a small body mass so bio-load isn't too bad. They have a beautiful iridescense to them, in addition to being just darn cute. They are effecient algae eaters as well. They are social and shouldn't be kept alone, I would recommend stocking atleast 3.

Most hillstream loaches are awesome algae eaters and their bio-load is pretty small. They need cooler temps and good oxygenation in their water, so they won't fit in just any community. I don't know what other fish you'll be stocking so not sure if these would work for you.

Oto's are highly effecient algae eaters. They need to be added to well established tanks. If your tank has been running for atleast 6 months, you could easily add 6 oto cats.

Or there is always nerite snails. Incredibly effecient algae eaters. They'll detail your decor and plants as well which is great.

Plecos do poop ALOT but i dont think their waste is as bad as the waste from another fish that eats a high protein diet, but saying that they do poop HEAPS. theres heaps of plecs that stay around 10cm or under, most Hypancistrus species are slightly carnivorous too which are harder to care for I think unless it is the only bottom feeder (dont get a carnivorous plec if you have cories etc).
Saying all that you can't go wrong with a Bristlenose for algae cleaning or if you want something quite different ive heard a few people say Whiptail plecos like longnose whiptails and royal whiptails are better than bristlenoses for algae removal

Back
Top Bottom