Cooling a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmilyC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any suggestions on cooling a tank, or preferably keeping it cool? I don't have the AC on yet, and on a couple of warmer days, the 55 gallon had gotten a few degrees warmer than I'd like. I've cooled it with water changes, but does anyone have lees labor-intensive ideas?

I let a couple of ice cubes, about five for my 50 gallon, melt, and add the melted water, I also put a fan in front of the tank
I add the ice cubes when it's the hottest of the day

Ice cubes from treated water, I assume?

Baggies or plastic bottles of tank water will last longer. How hot is it getting?

Just a few degrees over where it should be. I think I'll start freezing some water from pwc's - it looks like we might have a hot summer!

Hey there... I'm in the NW 'burbs.

In your original post you said you didn't have the AC on "yet". Will it be on later in the summer?

Hmmmm, I wouldnT really want to lower it that much, it is also a natural time for your tank, but he again, I wouldn't let it go over 86 degrees, what's the curren t temp now?

Hey there... I'm in the NW 'burbs.

In your original post you said you didn't have the AC on "yet". Will it be on later in the summer?

Hopefully we will have it on in the warmer stretches. We live in an old building and have had problems with the window units tripping breakers. So until that is fixed, no AC.

Yeah Chicago!

Ha.. I used to have a similar issue, but it was with space heaters in the winter.
"If you don't like the weather in Chicago then just wait a few days... It'll change."

I've seen lots of folks suggest having a small fan blowing across the surface. I'd just make triple sure it was secure and couldn't accidentally fall in. Other than that, the small baggies of frozen tank water sounds efficient AND reusable. Maybe have four of them and rotate as needed.

Back
Top Bottom