cooling down the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kostasonia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a simple question...

Do you think its possible to cool down a bit the aquarium by putting a simple fun in front of it? I mean just in front of the glass...

check that you thermometer is correct. i had a digital thermo reading of 37 C(98.6 F) in my heated tank so i turned the heater and lights off and tried several methods of cooling. ice, fan and lid off. none of these worked. then i used a different thermometer, a traditional 'mercury' one and that had a reading of approx 20 C (68 F). that was in closer relation to the lcd one that i have stuck to the outside of the tank. just out of curiosities sake, i decided to put the digi thermometer into my coldwater tank. yesterday it peaked at 39 C (102 F), which is about 15 C (59 F) higher that my heated tank which has lights on as well.

double check with another thermometer that your tank does need cooling. if it does, raise the lid and blow a decent size fan over it, remembering to increase aeration within the tank.

bigmac1878 said:
check that you thermometer is correct. i had a digital thermo reading of 37 C(98.6 F) in my heated tank so i turned the heater and lights off and tried several methods of cooling. ice, fan and lid off. none of these worked. then i used a different thermometer, a traditional 'mercury' one and that had a reading of approx 20 C (68 F). that was in closer relation to the lcd one that i have stuck to the outside of the tank. just out of curiosities sake, i decided to put the digi thermometer into my coldwater tank. yesterday it peaked at 39 C (102 F), which is about 15 C (59 F) higher that my heated tank which has lights on as well.

double check with another thermometer that your tank does need cooling. if it does, raise the lid and blow a decent size fan over it, remembering to increase aeration within the tank.
Your digi thermometer needs to take a long vacation to the trash can. :lol:

Over the peak of the summer I had some success with lifting my light up a little (putting 1/4" wood shims under it) and having a fan blow across the top. Like Rich said, you'll remove more heat blowing air across the top than blowing it at the glass.

i tried blowing the air across the surface of the water but to no avail. to be honest, i think the fan i used might have been too small for the summer temps we were getting, it is only a small one, about 1foot diameter.

My aquarium is totally closed and its actually a bit difficult to lift the lights higher. The only thing I can do is leave is open from where I am supposed to feed the fishes. (I have a Life-tech Jebo 362 model).
The model of the aquarium itself does not allow me to put a fan on the surface, that´s why I was asking if its possible to do something by blowing from outside...

In my house I reach 26 or 27 degrees Celcium and when the lights already work for 8 or 9 hours the temperature of the water can reach 30 or 31. What I have been doing provisionaly is to take some water from the aquarium 0.33L (total aquarium capacity 100L), cool it in the fridge and throw it again inside slowly, taking care that I do not really create a cold current in the aquarium. I throw it in the hole where the water of the filter is entering so It gets mixed with normal water.
After doing this for 4 or 5 times I manage to put down the temperature to 29 degrees which is high but not extreme.

I think Walmart has some 6 inch quiet high velocity fans that clamp onto the side of the tank. I'm thinking of getting one for my 55G, as I have no A/C on that end of the house, and even without the glass tops on, get's a little warm.

Back
Top Bottom