Cories???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 Albino Cories. I am going to get 2 more Cories, because I know they do better in groups of 5 or more.

Just wondering if I can get a different type or if it is better to keep same kind together???

Thanks for the input in advance.

I find the same type work better, but they will group up regardless. I have aneus, paleatus and Julei together. Mine are just spoiled because they are the clean up crew for fry tanks that are feed baby brine shrimp and micro worms.

Keeping all of one group keeps them much happier than having different groups. But saying that, I have a school of 4 Cory habrosus (dwarfs) with a single peppered, and they do school together just fine, but I noticed the peppered was much happier when he had more peppered to hang out with.

Only reason I have a single is because when I sold off his breeding group I didn't realize I had him left.

As already said cory's do prefer to shoal with their own species but will intermingle with other cory species also. That being said IMO there is nothing like seeing a large group of a single species type of cory shoaling around a tank. I have a group of 14 Aspidoras albater which is part of the cory family in a 55g and it's awesome watching the group shoal and interact. In fact this morning I found eggs after yesterdays WC.

As already said cory's do prefer to shoal with their own species but will intermingle with other cory species also. That being said IMO there is nothing like seeing a large group of a single species type of cory shoaling around a tank. I have a group of 14 Aspidoras albater which is part of the cory family in a 55g and it's awesome watching the group shoal and interact. In fact this morning I found eggs after yesterdays WC.

What does shoal mean?

A shoal is much like a school, but different. A shoal is mostly just a loose social group, while in a school, its kinda social but mostly a defense mechanism. In a school fish try to immitate each others movements and look like a much larger fish.

some fish are schooling, where they basically need others of there kind and swim in uniform with each other. shoaling fish dont necessarily need others of their kind but it makes them happier and they will sometimes hang out together

Oh, also, cories will almost always shoal together, regardless of specific species, but if they are the same species, they'll be happier and closer with the other cories.

Shoaling is indeed a more social behavior in which fish move about in a loosely formed group basically swimming in the same direction whereas schooling is when a group of fish are swimming in a coordinated manner moving and turning as one unit.

I have 3 Albino Cories. I am going to get 2 more Cories, because I know they do better in groups of 5 or more. Just wondering if I can get a different type or if it is better to keep same kind together??? Thanks for the input in advance.

I have two albino, two bronze, two julies, and two peppered. They are almost always swimming together. They even school with my loaches. Personally I like having a few of everything!

Back
Top Bottom