Cories and pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know the general opinion here is that pH doesn't greatly matter as long as it's somewhere between 6 and 8, and the fish get used to pH changes in a gradual manner.

Here's my problem. I thought the last batch of cory eggs a month or two ago was a misfire... most were eaten, I'd tried to save some in another tank, but again they were tasty lunch for someone. So now today after a larger than usual feeding, 3 1/2" fry popped out from behind the java ferns, and now I probably have more cories in the 29G than I should. (Heck there may be MORE than 3 fry, I can't tell).

the pH in this community tank is notoriously hard to keep up; I blame the gravel, and maybe the black algae that keeps pulling calcium out of the water. Currently it's about 6.0. My other tanks are at 6.5, 7.8 and about 8 (the betta tank, which has new gravel and new water). Would it be too much of a shock to move either young or mature cories to the 20G tank with a 7.8 pH in it?

edit: local tap water is about 7.7 pH.

My corydoras were fine with a 3.0 increase instantly, as were my angels and barbs.
they went from a 5.0 Ph to almost an 8.0 Ph

5, that's pretty low! I guess if anything I'm surprised the angels didn't have a problem with that.

i have one that tests from 0-14 (or at least shows that on the color comparison chart)... compliments of my father who teaches high school chemistry ;)

:tongue:

I wish I had one of those a couple years ago, my ph was at least 6 and I had trouble with inverts.

thanks for the replies. That is a good question, btw... I've been wondering whether my API test kit is not really telling me if the pH is 6.0 or if its below. It does move up into the 6's after a water change though.

So anyway, I probably will move 3-4 to the 20G, after a little time in a side container with more alkaline water.

Science lab test kit from the biologist at work on the Ph.

It was a blackwater Rio Negro tank, The angels were breeding like mad when they were in those waters.

CWT, have you tested the water you are using before using it? What do you have in the tank as far as decor and substrate?

yes, the local water is at about 7.7 pH out of the tap, no ammonia/NOx. Municipal supply. One big java fern bundle, java moss and crypts (when the Excel doesn't kill them), come to think of it I did put some of those food 'tabs' in the gravel for the plants when I started the tank. Occasional flareups of black beard algae. Gravel is... just plain aquarium gravel, I don't think it was the coated kind.
Had driftwood, took it out, no change in pH at that point.

Back
Top Bottom