Cories- couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I decided to get cories as my schooling fish and I so far love them!! Anyways, I have a couple questions. First, I have some shells in my tank and I remember that they can be cut buy sharper surfaces, should I remove my shells tomorrow? I completely forgot I had them in my tank before I bought them. Second, algae wafers, how long do I leave them in the tank before I remove whats left? Just over night? or until its all eaten?

Thank you!

So I decided to get cories as my schooling fish and I so far love them!! Anyways, I have a couple questions. First, I have some shells in my tank and I remember that they can be cut buy sharper surfaces, should I remove my shells tomorrow? I completely forgot I had them in my tank before I bought them. Second, algae wafers, how long do I leave them in the tank before I remove whats left? Just over night? or until its all eaten?

Thank you!
If its sharp, I advise to remove it to prevent any damage to the fish accentedly hitting or passing by it. As for the algae wafers, I would not leave them in the tank for more then 5 minutes, as they will most probably not eat them. Also, if they don't like it, feed it, remove it if it is not eaten, and try again in a few hours.:)

I'm going to arrange them facing down and buried a little so they won't get injured but sharper looking ones I will remove. And I put a wafer in about 20 minutes ago and they're still doing a number on it! Thanks! I love these cories, I had no idea they have so much energy!

I'm going to arrange them facing down and buried a little so they won't get injured but sharper looking ones I will remove. And I put a wafer in about 20 minutes ago and they're still doing a number on it! Thanks! I love these cories, I had no idea they have so much energy!
Remove it only if they don't eat it. And only put a bit of food or what they are capable to eat. You can try a few times to see how much they eat.

Remove the shells, they may change your water and make it harder. Cories like soft slightly acid water. And they aren't vegetarians. Please feed them sinking Catfish pellets , shrimp pellets, frozen brine shrimp and worms.

They can eat Algae wafers if you have an Algae eater, but its not part of their normal diet. It won't harm them, but its not what they NEED.

Ah, okay. Thanks! I don't have an algae eater so I will see if petsmart will take the wafers back but if not ill still buy some catfish pellets. And ill remove the shells today during my water change. Thanks again!

Your Corydoras

Thank you!

Hello Al...

Corys are schoaling, not schooling fish. Next time you're in the pet store, look at Tetras, those are schooling fish. Schooling fish mimic the movements of others in the group. Corys forage together for food sometimes, but their movements are individual. Splitting hairs, I know, but that's the difference.

The barbels (whiskers) on the Corys are very senative and can be easily injured by anything in the tank that's rough or sharp. If you think there's a potential problem, remove the shells. If they're the saltwater type, then they shouldn't be in your freshwater tank anyway.

The algae wafers can be left in the tank to dissolve in the tank water. Just change out half the water in the tank every week and you won't have to worry about anything toxic building up in the water. Large, weekly water changes will guarantee stable water conditions for your Corys and plants too.

B

Really depends on the size of the wafer and how many cories you have, I didn't see where you mentioned how many you have. Cories are slow eaters, depending on the size and how many you have you could leave it in there for about an hour.

Thanks! What i meant by schooling was mainly just a group of one fish that hang out. I don't mind if they don't school or anything :) I don't really plan to get anymore fish besides maybe 1 or 2 more cory cats and maybe a honey sunset. I did remove all my shells just in case. Catfish lover- I have 3. its all petsmart had, and they're on sale for a dollar. They're just babies so I scooped them up for a great deal. I plan on getting 1 or 2 more though, when they are available. The wafers are pretty small, about a penny sized. Though, I will break it in half when I give them another, I think they will be able to eat all of that in a good amount of time. Thanks all!

Thanks! What i meant by schooling was mainly just a group of one fish that hang out. I don't mind if they don't school or anything :) I don't really plan to get anymore fish besides maybe 1 or 2 more cory cats and maybe a honey sunset. I did remove all my shells just in case. Catfish lover- I have 3. its all petsmart had, and they're on sale for a dollar. They're just babies so I scooped them up for a great deal. I plan on getting 1 or 2 more though, when they are available. The wafers are pretty small, about a penny sized. Though, I will break it in half when I give them another, I think they will be able to eat all of that in a good amount of time. Thanks all!
Good luck. By the way, adding 2 more might make them more happy, as shoaling fish stay together for social reasons.

Back
Top Bottom