Corner Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy Steve

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm setting up a 5.5 gallon tank and for filtration I was planning on doing a simple corner sponge filter with an air pump, but as I started looking at my options I noticed the multilayered corner filters that you can fill with diferent kinds of filter media. If you're not sure what I'm talking about just search "corner filters" in google shopping and you'll see them. Does anyone have any experience with the latter? Which do you think would be best? Thanks!

I used them...in the 70s. Very simple and effective design for low volume filtration. Definitely gives you more options than a sponge filter. The only downside is that they are boxy and can take up some valuable room, especially in a smaller tank. I think they are kind of retro.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are old school filters just like the sponge filters and Under gravel filters. There's nothing wrong with them at all, they just aren't used much anymore now that people use power filters. They are also a mess to clean as they generally dump a lot of detritus when you remove them for cleaning just like a sponge filter.

A small internal power filter would be a better option. I use them in my QTs and are very effective. The smaller ones don't have a lot of filter media so I cut out a square hollow in a black sponge and insert the filter into it, which more than doubles the media volume, and being black it doesn't show up too much.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom