Cory & pleco questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have always used a pleco as my bottom cleaner but lately I have noticed missing smaller fish in some of my tanks & I am starting to think the pleco has been snacking ? I knew they would eat dead fish but I didn't think they would actively hunt. Since I am starting a shrimp only tank I am thinking I will use some cories as the ground cleaning crew if they will leave the shrimp alone. Any thoughts from those more experienced fishy people

I have always used a pleco as my bottom cleaner but lately I have noticed missing smaller fish in some of my tanks & I am starting to think the pleco has been snacking �� I knew they would eat dead fish but I didn't think they would actively hunt. Since I am starting a shrimp only tank I am thinking I will use some cories as the ground cleaning crew if they will leave the shrimp alone. Any thoughts from those more experienced fishy people

Hello ear...

If a fish is smaller than the mouth of a larger fish, there's potential for the small fish to be lunch. The best thing to do is feed all the fish a little more and more often. A well fed larger fish is less likely to be on the hunt for a snack.

B

My pleco is always hungry. Do you feed food specifically for the pleco? I use various sinking wafers and pellets. She tears it up. She knows when it is feeding time too.

A pleco will not hunt actively. I think this is a case of your fish dying and your pleco cleaning it up. They're scavengers, not predators. If I were you I would check the water parameters to see if anything is out of whack that would be killing your small fish.

Back
Top Bottom