Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Question Cory Cat Feeding

Alright i have 5 cory cats in my 29 gallon tank along with a sun catfish and 6 diamond tetras. The diamond tetras seem to eat all the food before any get to my corys. Does any one know a good type of sinking food?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffish View Post
Alright i have 5 cory cats in my 29 gallon tank along with a sun catfish and 6 diamond tetras. The diamond tetras seem to eat all the food before any get to my corys. Does any one know a good type of sinking food?
those algea disc for plecos???

Old 01-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, try the algae wafers, and feed them about an hour after the lights go out.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I feed my corydoras the algae sinking tablets, frozen bloodworms and carnivore sinking pellets.
Their colours are amazing and a few new sickly looking ones perked up after a few days of this varied diet!!
Old 01-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

since corys arent algae eaters, i wouldnt recommend algae wafers. any kind of sinking pellets will work. i throw 4 of my small cichlid pellets in every other day for mine

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a shrimp based pellet and some granules if the loaches don't eat em first
Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I feed mine flakes, bloodworms and algae tablets. They love them.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mine love algae tablets, and oddly enough, betta bites. The betta bites sink if you drop them from about a foot above the tank. The cories go NUTS over those.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay i do have betta bites and i will try that today, i will also try to get some live food. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Get some shrimp/carnivore sinking pellets too....if you read up it says algae tabs wont be sufficient!
They are omnivores, needing both veggies and meat in their diet!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah sorry i was skimming throught the responses. It should be fixed now.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Varied diets are always preferrable but algae wafers have a large amount of protein in them (my Hikari algae wafers for example are minimum 1/3 protein). This would be sufficient as a sole source of food but cory's (if the substrate is right) are fantastic at filtering out all of the left over food and micro-flora/fauna attached to the substrate.

Anyone with cory's IMO should have a substrate similar to pool filter sand (PFS). It is a riot to watch them gobble up a chunk of PFS and shoot it out the gill area as they "filter feed". I don't feed them anything in my main community tank and they are fantastically healthy from all the leftovers(note: I only have 1 cory at the moment... I plan to add some friends once it gets warmer and can cull my overstocked tank of platy/guppy).
Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay and i have gravel but i do notice that no foods that flote to the bottem or left behind will be picked up by the corys and i always make sure some food floats to the bottem for them.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

i use kensfish catfish pellets.
http://www.kensfish.com/kenspellets.html

1 pound $3.

you can also feed on one side of the tank then put food on the other once the other fish start eating it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay ill try that. thank you!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffish View Post
Okay and i have gravel but i do notice that no foods that flote to the bottem or left behind will be picked up by the corys and i always make sure some food floats to the bottem for them.
Interesting....is it that they are shy around you/other fish? My cory is the oldest fish in my tank (going on 4+ years now) and is still scared of the sight of me. If I catch it out in the open and it see's me it just freezes in place watching. If I get too close it darts away hiding behind a plant. When I feed the tank I make sure to quickly sit back a couple feet from the tank and don't move. If I do that he'll come out and start rummaging around for food. If I stay near the tank he doesn't get any as the other fish gobble it all up.

They are strange little buggers for sure!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

just give them time, it'll all be eaten eventually. My cories are shy some of the time, except when they're really hungry. Probably because I netted up a few of them after a feeding ;0
Old 01-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah they are scared of me too but now that the angel fish have settled down all the fish have been chill. Except for my diamonds, they seem like they are on some type of caffine all the time. So any way now that all of the fish have settled down the corys have started eating the food that falls to the bottem. (Thank God) but i am still trying to get some live food for then as a treat sort of, and i am also trying to set up another tank for my sun catfish and my pleco along with some mollys or platys.

Tags
cory, cory cat, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com