Cory Cat Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maeve100

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello again :)

I went out and got a 2" cory cat to pair with my 3/4" cory cat and they seemed to be doing well, the first day. They don't bother each other at all, but now my big one just sits under a big sunken ship decoration hiding, and doesn't come out. His top fin is isn't straight up like the other one, its laying down (not clamped against him or anything). He looks ok, but he just won't come out - I havn't seen him eat either.

Should I worry - what can I do?

Thank you again (and thank you to all who helped me the first time :)))

:)

Liz

Do they normaly eat during the day. Because mine hide out in my flower pot most of the time and are nocturnal. I drop wafers in at night and there gone in the morning. So someones eating. I wouldn't worry too much about him. Also cories are schooling fish. So they might be happier with a couple more buddies.

Hmm..

He was really friskie last night, so I will watch him tonight and see what he does. The one albino cory I have eats any time anywhere. I have been feeding them Wardly's Shrimp pellets because it had a picture of a cory on it, is there a better food they should be eating?

Liz :)

Ive had 2 pandas since the start of my tank. (a few died along the way..) I decided to get some big cory duplics (they are like 4 times the size...they are really big!! ) and 2 sterbais that are mid sized.

at first the 4 new guys wanted to search out the tank and play in the water current. they werent eating the wafers that i could see, but they seemed fine so I didnt worry.

then for a day or 2 the bigger ones seemed to be hiding off and on.

now, aboutt 1 1/2 weeks later, they are just as greedy for wafers as the pandas! and they are all hanging out together.

occasionally i notice the big ones hanging out alone somewhere with the top fin laying flat like you said..but i think they are really just resting. because they look fine the est of the time..

i wouldnt worry....ive seen my cories do some strange things, including look like they were almost lying on their side like clown loaches...

good luck!

imo pandas are more day fish ime. my melaneus corys hide under the driftwood or plants all day or swim around a lil and then like go back. but the pandas they like get a tan they stay out in the open so often 8).

Cories are kind of shy little critters. I have 5 of the spotted cories. They are skittish but the they did get better about that after they adjusted to their new home. Of course that's been over a year ago now. They are more active at night and eventually you will see them come out when you feed them.

On a side note maeve, also be aware that yes, they do better in schools and they eat sinking shrimp pellets, not algae wafers as some people believe. I'm not sure what you're feeding, I just thought I'd throw that in for info only. I think after a few days and a few good feedings they'll be ok.

Good Luck!
Rose

I toss in algae wafers for my pleco and the cories dont seem to mind eating them every now and then - and my pleco flies over to them and shoos them off her food!

the cories do seem to prefer the sinking pellets more though, im my tank, anyway.

my cories won't go near the shrimp pellets but they absolutely swarm all over the wafers..........go figure. They are as picky and individual as kids LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom