Cory Cat Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keaton_J

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone!

Long time lurker (4+ years now), first time poster. I'm finally setting up one of the tanks I've bought and it came with a substrate that I really like the look of. I just don't know if it will be safe for my corys.

IMG_0479.jpg

I know that sand is typically best, but these pebbles are pretty smooth. I will also have this tank planted, with most of the floor covered in java moss ideally.

Thanks for any advice or tips!!

Best,
Keaton

It will be safe.. not ideal at all though, they sift around foraging for food, they'll have to really work to get into all those nooks and crannies. What size is that? What type.corys?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's only 5 gallons, so I'll only have 2-3 corys in it. I'm going to do panda corys unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

I'm also not against changing the substrate if I see and damage to the corys.

2 good reasons not to.. far too small of a tank and Cory's like a group of 6-7+.. oh yah and the substrate is all wrong! 3 reasons;)

I think substrate ok looks smooth. But regardless Brookster got it right too small

Yeah I've considered the size a few times.. But my plan is to just monitor them closely and move them to another tank of need be.

20g would be appropriate for a shoal of cories. Its often hard to see the early signs of stress. Hopefully it works out for you.

What other stocking suggestions do you guys have? I know that people have had success with having 2-3 corys together, but I do understand that it isn't ideal.

So Brookster, you are right! But guess not listening. Too bad

Huh?

What other stocking suggestions do you guys have? I know that people have had success with having 2-3 corys together, but I do understand that it isn't ideal.
If it doesn't have the plastic full top? A betta. Shrimp would work or A pair of pea puffers.

5g stocking is limited. Single betta or a shrimp tank will be some of your best options. A single adf is another but I know chi has some kind of top on it so you have to consider that as well .

I did order the top for it, but it will still have a small gap where the water comes in from the fountain. I have been considering a betta!

What's the minimum shoal size for neon tetras?

6 neons minimum. Not enough tank either. A s.badis but its a difficult fish to keep period.
Problem is a typical 5g is 16in. The chi is a cube. Makes it even worse from a stocking standpoint.

Back
Top Bottom