Cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A good pleco substitute would be the otocinclus. Small and peaceful towards discus.

Wouldn't do Cory,s for algae, they will eat everything else first - oto,s would be far better.

Algae Eaters

Do they eat algae? Could they replace my plecos? ??

Hello Fish...

Corydoras prefer meat first, then veggies. My best algae eaters are my Ramshorn snails. Alot of tank keepers think they breed too fast, but that's because most tank keepers probably feed their fish too much. If you have alot of snails in your tank, then you're feeding too much.

My tanks are free of visible algae and it's because the Ramshorn, little guys relish it. I feed my fish a couple of times a week, just what they'll eat in a minute or two, so my snails don't get out of control.

Just a thought.

B

Borderlesscott said:
Wouldn't do Cory,s for algae, they will eat everything else first - oto,s would be far better.

I agree 3 Otos would be great!

Hi, I don't think Cories would be sexually mature yet. Two males four females isn't the best ratio if you want them to breed. 4 males to 2 females is a good ratio but if your not expecting breeding then it's fine. The way to sex them is looking from above the females are plumper and the males are slender.

Samzter said:
Hi, I don't think Cories would be sexually mature yet. Two males four females isn't the best ratio if you want them to breed. 4 males to 2 females is a good ratio but if your not expecting breeding then it's fine. The way to sex them is looking from above the females are plumper and the males are slender.

Thank you!
There is 1 more thing that is noticeably different between them..... The top fun is REALLY tall on the 2 "males"

On a tank that big, why couldn't you do 6 corys and 4 or 5 oto's? Not sure how stocked you are, but that would make one heck of a cleaning crew! I have 4 albino corys and 3 otos in my 29, and they are fantastic!

creic38 said:
On a tank that big, why couldn't you do 6 corys and 4 or 5 oto's? Not sure how stocked you are, but that would make one heck of a cleaning crew! I have 4 albino corys and 3 otos in my 29, and they are fantastic!

That would be awesome but im getting discus and I'm still unsure of if the ottos would suck their slime coat or not.

It's a valid point and I have heard that question before. I just don't see it. My guys don't go near my other fish. Then again, there is plenty of algae for them to eat. I purposely don't clean all of it so they have something to munch on. And they do a pretty good job at that!

See if someone more qualified than me responds. I am no pro with discuss as I do not keep them.

Fish4bass8 said:
That would be awesome but im getting discus and I'm still unsure of if the ottos would suck their slime coat or not.

I have seen two discus tanks in two different fish shops where the newly introduced otos were constantly going after the discus for their slime coat. I've also seen discus tanks with both otos and plecos and the owners have never had a problem. I think your pleco will be alright if you've had him for a while and is well feed or you can get the otos first to make sure they are eating well before you get the discus. I've read that most of the time plecos/otos go after fish for their slime coat because they are starving or in poor health.
Simply answer is yes otos can suck the discus slime coat. Will they? Maybe, maybe not.

Daxhua said:
I have seen two discus tanks in two different fish shops where the newly introduced otos were constantly going after the discus for their slime coat. I've also seen discus tanks with both otos and plecos and the owners have never had a problem. I think your pleco will be alright if you've had him for a while and is well feed or you can get the otos first to make sure they are eating well before you get the discus. I've read that most of the time plecos/otos go after fish for their slime coat because they are starving or in poor health.
Simply answer is yes otos can suck the discus slime coat. Will they? Maybe, maybe not.

I already have an ABN pleco that I'm gonna keep bc he only eats algae. He won't touch the other food I thro in there.
Ur saying if I got some ottos now and web their eating well then buy the discus?

Yes if you want otos with your discus fish then get the otos first to observe them to make sure they're heathy and eating well.

If your going to keep your pleco for algae control then you could just go with the cory's and not worry about the otos.

Back
Top Bottom