Cory cats jumping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNorlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I am wondering if everyone's corydora cats jump ( or rush towards the top of the tank into the air) and come right down). Mine keep on hitting the hood they are moving so fast. They don't seem to be dazed but I worry a bit as they seem to do it 1-2 times an hour. I know they aren't the smartest fish ( or maybe I just have some dense ones). Does anyone else experience this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

mine do also. I thought it was o2 deficiency, so i added an air stone and they still did it.

Yep, I added bubbles too. :)

They are labyrinth breathers just like bettas. Its completely normal for them :)
Not quite I think. Labyrinth breathers like bettas have an auxilliary organ for breathing air. Corydoras catfish do need to breath surface air but they do it through their digestive tract, absorbing the air in their intestines!

In any case, it's perfectly normal for corydoras to do that. In fact, i would be more worried if they werent.

This information brought to you by my biology of fishes class :) (my professor talked specifically about corydoras catfish, pretty awesome!)

Cool. I have just always thought they were crazy. I love them though. They must have hard skulls!

Yeah, padding. :) i could always do with some floating plants. :) will take a look this weekend.

Hey all, I am wondering if everyone's corydora cats jump ( or rush towards the top of the tank into the air) and come right down). Mine keep on hitting the hood they are moving so fast. They don't seem to be dazed but I worry a bit as they seem to do it 1-2 times an hour. I know they aren't the smartest fish ( or maybe I just have some dense ones). Does anyone else experience this?

I've lost four corys jumping out over the course of a month. couldn't work out where they went - full tank checks etc. found them dessicated and wedged behind the filter, along with a kuhli loach and two zebra danios.
I've since lowered the water and rearranged some plants to be directly under the holes in the glass lids.

I also make sure there is a background on the tank and caves and hiding places as well as at least some densely planted areas.

When fish startle you can lose them. Helping them feel secure. Making sure water is pristine. And keeping a tight cover on the tank, all helps. Fill holes with foam or mesh.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I am doing okay now. Fortunately I haven't lost a fish in over 6 months and only then because one of my rasboras died the day after I got it from the LFS. I have one danio that has jumped out of the tank over 3 times (an older tank that I eventually got rid of) and I saw it and saved him every time and put him back in the water after I cleaned off the dust bunnies. That danio is enormous and a bully in the tank, but the other fish leave him alone now. It even takes on my yoyos and the betta every now and then. I call him pig ( cause he is the first to the food everytime). I won't be getting anymore danios after he's gone. Quite the survivor though, so I am going to take care of him until the end. :)

Back
Top Bottom