cory cats laying eggs after every water change???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snoo eisen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so I have an aquarium with three corys (two female and one male), and some neon tetras. I've had one of the corys for over three years, and the other two a little less than that. they're my favourite fish I've had and they're fun to watch and I enjoy having them in my aquarium.

while it's more of a nuisance than a problem, after almost every water change (and I just do a regular ~20% change every week), the two females lay eggs the next day.

there aren't enough of the corys to actually make viable eggs (and I'm glad), but two corys lay dozens and dozens of eggs. maybe hundreds. all over the glass, the filter, the plants... it's pretty cute watching them wiggle around and place their eggs on whatever. it's just a lot of eggs.

I really don't know why they do this, they seem to be content though. I'm wondering what the reasoning is (I know that water temperature plays a factor) and if there's an easier way to remove the eggs than trying to scrape them off.

my aquarium has some water spots on it in the picture, sorry about that. that's just some of the eggs on the left side of the tank. there's a large clump behind the filter, and several on the right side.

Attachments

• eggs 2.jpg
    eggs 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 241
They are viable?
The female lays fertilised eggs.
Sorry it doesn't answer your question though.

ah, sorry. I vaguely remembered something saying that there needed to be a larger group and more than one male for the eggs to actually be fertile but I don't know, haha. I've never purposely bred my corys and the few eggs that get left behind after cleaning it up have never done anything or they get eaten. of course there are parameters I'm not meeting for the eggs to hatch, not that I want them to.

Removing Corydoras Eggs

Hello snoo...

Introduce some Ramshorn snails. The eggs are very nutritious and the snails will make short work of them. The good part is, this species of snail stays small and is a beneficial tank cleaning crew. I wouldn't be without them in my planted Cory tanks.

B

A razor blade can also work. But the cory are just laying their eggs because in nature whenever it rains, thats when it breeds. Rain would be colder temperature so thats why your catfish are laying eggs when you do a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ah, sorry. I vaguely remembered something saying that there needed to be a larger group and more than one male for the eggs to actually be fertile but I don't know, haha. I've never purposely bred my corys and the few eggs that get left behind after cleaning it up have never done anything or they get eaten. of course there are parameters I'm not meeting for the eggs to hatch, not that I want them to.

The ratio for breeding is typically 2-3 F per male.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/corydoras-paleatus-breeding-corydoradinae-284980.html

Just leave them and they will get eaten. If you're very lucky (or not in your case) maybe one or two will survive without special attention. Even then the fry will most likely be consumed. The egg cases dissolve without any input from the keeper.

You should make the effort, it is very satisfying and you can get fish tokens if you trade them in.

It looks like the female is below in your picture, being "chased" by the male. Really it's a wonderful thing.

I had one male and one female they laid everytime I did a water change as it's simulating rainfall which is when they lay, also I the water is slightly cooler then the tank it will make them lay, I now have 8 that I have raised from there eggs, they still lay but I don't bother getting them out now if thy survive they survive nature can take its course with the eggs,

Sent from fish phone

Dont get rid of the eggs, you can sell cories once they hatch!!!

Oh I can't sell them, I couldn't sell any animal hopefully if I get a bigger tank I'll have more :)

Sent from fish phone

Back
Top Bottom