Cory feeding issues...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talbott37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I've got two julii cories (corys?) that I'm a bit concerned about. I feed them sinking wafers, but they tend to be very slow in getting around to them, while my glo-danios are not. I often see the danios tearing away at the wafers, no matter what time of day or night I put them in. (Oddly enough, my tetras, who are voracious when it comes to food, including attempting to eat small snails whole, leave the wafers alone.) I'm worried about my cories getting enough nutrition since I can't seem to get much food to them without causing pretty severe over-feeding of my other fish. Neither seems particularly ill, but one is certainly very small and not growing much. Any suggestions for this situation? Any signs or symptoms to watch for in my cories to tell if they are undernourished?

what type of wafers are you feeding them? algea or bottom feeder types? They need meet in their diets which is why I am asking.
For the feeding issue, try feeding right after lights on/off. Cories are their most active in the dawn/dusk hours in nature plus your tetras won't notice the wafers drop in as much.
You could also use bottom feeder pellets vs. wafers. They are smaller and so you can feed more that way if the tetras see a couple, all won't be over for the cories. Plus they like to hunt for their food and it makes them more active to have to search around the tank for their wafers. (keep them in a general area though)

I use the bottom feeder wafers, usually after i turn out the lights, but I can definitely try pellets to see if that will help.
And honestly, I'm not sure if I can tell a skinny cory from a non-skinny cory...I'm extremely new to fish and aquariums, so I'm on a bit of a learning curve. How round should they be? What should I be looking at?

I've never seen a "skinny" cory so I can't help you on that part. If i see one looking a bit thin I just assume it's a male because females are always much more plump.

I really do think the pellets would help a bit...or just break the wafers up into bits and pieces to see before you invest in the pellets.

Get some frozen blood worms. Defrost a little bit in a bowl of tank water. Suck up and target feed with a turkey baster.

Live or frozen food will be much healthier for them.

Back
Top Bottom