cory ID please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Picked up 3 mystery cories. They were dropping like flies at the LFS, so I took home the last 3 that still had the ability to swim straight.

How big are they? If they're teeny, they look like they could be corydoras hasbrosus. :) (My favorite fish!)

Not good with ID's but he's a cute lil' bugger!

Oh, and hasbrosus means "delicate" which may explain why they were dropping like flies. :( I'm glad you saved some. :)

I've never seen the hasbrosus at any of my fish shops. Are they a harder variety to find?

I've never seen the hasbrosus at any of my fish shops. Are they a harder variety to find?

Yeah, my LFS seems to have a hard time getting them in, and when they do, they go FAST. I wanted 6, but I've only been able to get my hands on 3 (one of which quickly passed.) They are SO TINY. I think they max out at 3/4".

Maybe a Schwartz? They tend to look like half Panda half Julii...

Not habrosus, if you google for images you will see habrosus look quite different. These are your "normal" cory, not dwarf. Good guess though!

Schwartz looks pretty darn close. However, If you look up images of schwartz cories, you will see they have distinct, neat parallel lines running down their bodies. All three of mine do not have such neat lines, they don't have lines at all! They seem to have random spots all over their bodies, which leads me to think they are not pure schwartz cories. Or perhaps they are, with funny lines?

Here's a picture I found, and it looks just like mine.
Punctatus Cory (Corydoras punctatus)

Called a Punctatus cory. I did a quick search, and it looks like the species is either 1) Rare in the hobby or 2) Not actually a Punctatus cory. My google search is bringing up hits for "spotted" cories, but they don't look like mine and the descriptions for "punctatus/spotted cories" do not match mine either! Forum posts on other forums suggest they are not common, because most people don't know what they are. This is interesting....

They don't quite resemble the usual agassizii I've seen online either. But not too far off.

Not habrosus, if you google for images you will see habrosus look quite different. These are your "normal" cory, not dwarf. Good guess though!

Schwartz looks pretty darn close. However, If you look up images of schwartz cories, you will see they have distinct, neat parallel lines running down their bodies. All three of mine do not have such neat lines, they don't have lines at all! They seem to have random spots all over their bodies, which leads me to think they are not pure schwartz cories. Or perhaps they are, with funny lines?

Here's a picture I found, and it looks just like mine.
Punctatus Cory (Corydoras punctatus)

Called a Punctatus cory. I did a quick search, and it looks like the species is either 1) Rare in the hobby or 2) Not actually a Punctatus cory. My google search is bringing up hits for "spotted" cories, but they don't look like mine and the descriptions for "punctatus/spotted cories" do not match mine either! Forum posts on other forums suggest they are not common, because most people don't know what they are. This is interesting....

They don't quite resemble the usual agassizii I've seen online either. But not too far off.

Very interesting!

I must admit that picture of the Punctatus does more closely resemble yours than the Schwartz.

Plant Catfish which is normally very good for Cory info has Punctatus resembling Spotted Cories...

Hope someone else has more information :confused:

There are a few ID options out there that honestly look pretty darn close to each other.
Some options are Corydoras leucomelas (blackfin cory), Corydoras melanistius (black spotted cory), Corydoras ambiacus (spotted cory). Schwartzi is the other one I was going to suggest, but somebody else already did. :)

Blackfin cory looks extremely close, thanks for the suggestion a.a!

Unfortunately the fish did not make it through the first 48 hours. And I'm not surprised, they looked terrible in the store. Worse than other cory orders I've seen, so I'm considering they are either more sensitive or they could even be wild caught.

The LFS had the guts to blame me for their deaths. I was firmly insulted, given they know who I am and they knew the conditions of the cories.

So I walked out. They lost a customer.

Back
Top Bottom