Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cory Schooling

I had a recent bout with Ich in my tank. All seems ok now but had a few deaths along the way. I am down to one Corydoras sterbai and he seems very lonely. These were kind of a lucky find when I got them. The LFS has some Corydoras but no sterbai. If i got some others would they school together? or should I wait and hunt some more to see if I can find some sterbai? It is just hard to look at the one in the tank all alone.

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
It depends sometimes ive heard.. I just recently got a spotted cory and he schools with my emerald cats (( brochis splendens )) Its pretty funny, since the emeralds are alot bigger and look alot different.... but anyways! I guess its just different for the individual fish, mine does though..

Old 04-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Essayons89
I agree, the lone Cory may or may not school with another species but it wouldn't hurt at all to get some more for the tank. Out of four tanks that I have with Cories in them only one of them has them mixed and they all keep to their own species.

Bryan
Old 04-16-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The sterbai are a bit bigger than most cories. That is one of my concerns with getting a different type. I guess I should look a little harder and see if I can find any at a different LFS.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Essayons89
You might be able to find some on Aquabid or e-bay if you don't mind paying for the shipping.

The size of the Sterbai isn't an issue, different species of cories will get along peacefully.

Bryan
Old 04-17-2005, 05:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you should buy those other ones even if they arnt the same because i think that they would still go in a school together like tetras. 8)
Old 04-17-2005, 05:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
liveaquaria.com has some, but then of course 25 bucks for shipping. I'm thinking of ordering some juli cories from them, I haven't been able to find them locally.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had 2 VERY small albino corys for a couple months. I added a mid sized peppered cory and a large spotted cory to the tank. They all schooled together. It was kinda funny to me to see this BIG spotted cory jus following the TINY albinos everywhere they went in the tank. Like a little lost dog. It has been a couple months now and the big spotted spends most of his time sitting on the bottom at the back of the tank. I think he got comfortable and now just hangs out and waits for feeding time most of the time. He still schools sometimes, but likes to just sit most of the time. The peppered still schools with the 2 albino's all the time.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
NewFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok. Thanks all. If I am unable to find any sterbai locally. I will go and get the others and keep my fingers crossed that they school together.

Tags
cory, schooling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com