Corycats with ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning on moving some fish around. I want to put my Corycats in a community tank with ghost shrimp. Will they eat the shrimp?

No, I have 25 cory's and 50-75 ghost shrimp together in a 220g planted tank. They don't even take notice of each other but the shrimp have been know to steal food that a cory is eating on.

Okay. Awesome. Thank you. What else do you have in your tank?

Wow. I love it! I've actually come across pics of your tank several times and I'm always mesmerized!

Thanks, I'm still working on it but am almost to the point where I want it to be.

Rivercats said:
Proserpinaca palustris, Petite nana anubia, and I think Ludwigia Cuba.

That's awesome. Those would add a lot of color. I'm really nervous about starting a planted tank. Lol.

Do alot of research and plan, plan, plan. I've done plants for a long time but never anything of this size so I planned and researched for almost a year before I took the plunge. It's best to get all your supplies first, especially substrate, and look at tons of tank pic's to get a good idea what type/style you want. Then see what plants you would like THEN pick out the proper type and amount of light you need for those type plants. You need to decide if you want to do liquid carbon or do CO2. Plan, plan, plan and get everything first, then consider starting on actually setting up your tank.

I never use sand so hopefully someone else will respond or ask about it in a new thread. You know it's a personal choice between using liquid carbon, CO2, or both. You know I use glutaraldehyde, which is the equalivant of Excel but tons cheaper. You can start with liquid carbon and add CO2 later if you want to ease in. Or you can do some research and start with pressurized CO2. You have to figure out what's best for you and your tank. Here is the info on the Glut I use...

Glutaraldehyde is a liquid carbon and works the same as Excel, even smells identical to it. I have never had any losses, fish, shrimp, snails and I use a higher than normal dose (which if you read the excel bottle says you can increase dosage slowly in high growth tanks) and I've used it for quite a long time. Used to use Excel but when I got the info on mixing Glut and RO to get an equalivant dose to Excel I haven't looked back. Glut is 2.6x stronger than Excel so I get this...
Glutaraldehyde Cold Sterilization Solution 14 day 1 Gallon: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and mix this one gallon of Glut to 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons of Glut for $28 dollars. Look up how much Excel would be for 2-1/2 gallons. Dose at 1ml Glut to every 10 gallons of water . It's never melted anything, not even the Corkscrew Val. Also these products, Excel, API CO2 Booster, and Glut all breakdown in the aquarium in the range of 11 to 24 hours depending on what research you use. That is why you use it daily. Also the solution must be kept in a container that keeps the solutions totally free from light and store in a cool place.

Awesome. Thanks for all of the great information. What are your favorite substrates?

Mine are dirt and Eco-complete but there are alot of good commerical plant substrates out there. Just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Back
Top Bottom