Corydora and hatchet question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Athaocity

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can those two types of fish live peacefully together?

I have this 29 gallon tank sitting out in my front door.
Can't imagine all the many ideas that comes to mind.

image-1769266671.jpg

I like the idea of a corydora school along with hatchet fishes.

Totally different swimming areas cories will always stay at the bottom and hatchets for the most part at the very top. I couldn't see them schooling together... Ever. But it'll be very peaceful tank.

Sharkbait54 said:
Totally different swimming areas cories will always stay at the bottom and hatchets for the most part at the very top. I couldn't see them schooling together... Ever. But it'll be very peaceful tank.

Yeah thats my point. I want bottom and top swimmers. In schools though.

Oh well he's the cories will school together and will the hatchets I thought you meant hatchets and cories schooling one with the other. Lol

Hehe. Well yay! Can't wait til that day I set up that tank.
Thinking of panda cories and silver hatchets

absolutangel04 said:
Sounds good. :)
Any idea what else you want in the tank?

A few plants, for sure, that I want to get are Anubias and amazon swords.
Other plants suggestions are welcomed.
I also have lots of Indian almond leaves too that I would like to sink into the tank for the cories. I wouldn't mind the tannins.

5 or 6 the lfs that has them says they are wild caught and a bit sensitive. The tank I'm putting them in is cycling right now. So it'll be a couple months.

When I saw them I knew I had to have them :)

You'll have a sweet lil amazon set up with corys and hatchets I like it. Give the hatchets some floating plants for cover and you'll get more natural behavior out of them. Add a school of beckfordi pencil fish for the middle region that would look awesome.

Sharkbait54 said:
5 or 6 the lfs that has them says they are wild caught and a bit sensitive. The tank I'm putting them in is cycling right now. So it'll be a couple months.

When I saw them I knew I had to have them :)

Awesome! Wild caught huh? Wouldn't they require a more specific care?

Discusapisto said:
You'll have a sweet lil amazon set up with corys and hatchets I like it. Give the hatchets some floating plants for cover and you'll get more natural behavior out of them. Add a school of beckfordi pencil fish for the middle region that would look awesome.

Some floating plants would be nice for the hatchets.
I like plants that grow to the surface too.

Athaocity said:
Some floating plants would be nice for the hatchets.
I like plants that grow to the surface too.

I have red root floaters, amazon frog bit,and dwarf water lettuce in my tank with
my hatchets and they hang out under the floating plants all day darting out to grab wingless fruit flys and fd bloodworms.

That sounds cool. I like the look of the Indian almond leaves. Oak leaves work well too and are a cheaper substitute if you can't find the almond leaves, just so you know. :)

Oak leaves hold up longer than Indian almond but don't release near as many tannins. Beech leaves, if you can find them, are said to be really durable. I can't speak for how much they stain the water though.

Here are my almond leaves

image-1152506252.jpg

Also, I have three leaves in my 20 long with two Cory, a peppered and a aeneus.
The aeneus sits on the leaf all day! :D

Next time you need a picture of the corys on the leaves. :)
I have a mixture of Indian almond and oak leaves in my tank and my sterbai love it, although it gives them tons of hiding places so I don't see them unless they want seen.

Back
Top Bottom