Corydoras Hasbrosus issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 40g breeder tank has been up and running for about 2 months now, and was seeded with a bag of biomedia from my established 75g tank. I'm having trouble keeping any Corydoras Hasbrosus alive... I realize now that it's likely because I dosed the tank with Prazi-pro as a preventative (I added 2 Zebra otos at the same time as the first batch of cories, and I've had issues in the past of wild otos bringing in parasites). From what I'm reading the habrosus cories are really sensitive to the anti-parasite meds...

I lost my entire first batch of the cories (6) over a 2 week period, and when I tried again after several water changes, I lost another 5 over the course of 2 weeks again. I only have one little guy left :( The other tankmates are all doing great, my Cherry Barbs even had babies that are growing up great despite no special care or much moss grown in yet for them to hide in. How can I salvage the situation? What am I doing wrong?

Tank parameters:
0/0/0-20
78F
Dual Hydro V sponge filters
Feeding frozen spirulina brine shrimp & daphnia, algae wafers, and omega one veggie & super color flakes (frozens one day, flakes next day)
Weekly 50% water changes

I've had mixed luck with them too.. i had a 3 month old shoal of 4, added 4 more and within a couple weeks the entire new batch was dead.. poor stock would be my guess??
Still have the original 4 a year later by the way;) awesome little fish.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, at least I'm not alone... I got mine from Wet Spot, which is usually really good quality stock.

What do you feed your guys? I've never actually seen any of mine eat, so I'm worried that maybe the second batch starved. Even when I used a turkey baster to squirt the daphnia/brine shrimp onto where they were sitting, they just kinda ignored it... I'm so paranoid that I'm going to lose the last guy, but I'm worried that if I add more friends for him then they'll just all die off too :(

I've never had really bad luck with cories to be honest. I feed mine sinking granules. I can't think of an explanation as to why yours died off other than bad quality.

Sinking sera granules and algae wafers, they eat like me on thanksgiving... they'll start going nuts whenever I feed really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you can get some, mine love live blackworms and micro worms too. Despite their small size, they go for the blackworms like crazy. Microworms live for a week at substrate level and they'll find them and eat them. Fun to watch them slurping up worms, they almost look like a kid slurping up noodles. I keep them with a pile of snails and some other small fishes, and so far, so good. I've had more problems with Pygmies than Habrosus, so far anyway. Been about two months since I got these guys. Never seen them before, so I hope they carry on doing well.

Back
Top Bottom