Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

corys

I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 guppies, 3 mollies and 1 cory. I've heard corys do better in groups, but I think my tank has quite a few fish already. They don't take up much room, tehre's a lot of open space for them to swim around, and they are all small fish, but it just sounds like a lot to me. My question is, can I safely add 1-2 more corys so my lone cory is happier?

Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Cories need to be in groups. If the tank is already done cyclying you could add another one or maybe two. What kind of cory is it? It would be very easy to add more if it was a pygmy cory. I have a group of 5 in my ten gallon. They only get one inch long.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is done cycling after a little bit of stress on my part, being a new fish owner and not getting much help from the LFS. BUT, thankfully, my fish (and I lol) made it through it all and they're all happy and healthy. It's an albino cory, from what I've seen, corydoras aeneus. I guess those get a few cm bigger than the pygmy cory? Like I said, when I got my fish, I knew absolutely nothing about what I was doing. My sister had some guppies that had babies and needed a home, and I'm in colllege, so about the only pet I can have in my apartment is fish, so I thought I'd go for it. It's been a lot more work than i thought, but I love it.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess those get a few cm bigger than the pygmy cory?
Double to triple the size of a pygmy. If you stay on top of the PWC, 2 more cories will be fine.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
Ya corydoras aeneus gets around 3 inchs long. Much bigger than a pygmy cory.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

From what I've read, males get just under 2 inches and females a little bit bigger, about 2 times that of a pygmy cory.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually that doesn't even matter much, my question was if I can add a few more. I ended up buying 2 more, but unfortunately, a day later, they don't seem to care much for each other. They're all defintaely the same, they're identical and I can't telll them apart, but they all kind of do their own thing. I bought the extra 2 because I thought they would school together. maybea 10 gallon tank is too small for schooling, but I thought they'd at least hang out together. Even the 2 new ones don't pay much attention to each other.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

give them some time. I had the first two zebras in the tank for 2 weeks, then added a third, and it hid for 2 or 3 days, so i went and bought 2 more and for the first couple days they hid also, but now they are all zipping around chasing each other, and they school when I do a pwc.

Tags
cory, corys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com