Corys and Epsom Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My DG has some kind of mark on his head that no one can figure out what it is. It was suggested to me to try salt. I only have Epsom salt available and I have snails and Corys. Will this work? How should I do it if it will work?

No, you don't want to add epsom salt to the tank. If salt is the right treatment, you'll want to get some aquarium salt.

What kind of mark? Is it white/fuzzy? You may need antibiotics.

Post a photo, if you can. :)

Pictures taken last night. All answers I've gotten are hole in the head and Columnaris which this is not. I've looked into both. It's pink and raised. No fuzz or anything else to help. Only one spot. Today he looks stressed by it.

Attachments

• image-3313379383.jpg
    image-3313379383.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 95
  • image-59458928.jpg
    image-59458928.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 75
I wouldn't worry about aquarium salt with the tankmates, I've used it with cories and snails several times, but I just don't know about epsom salt. I've only used it before as a dip for bloated fish, I've never added it directly to a tank, and have several times read not to do so. I had an angel with a similar looking bump recently that I was able to clear up with aquarium salt and antibiotics (I used E.M.).

Cories typically don't like salt. Plants dont either.

Better to QT the DG and treat him separately.

Cories are considered sensitive fish. Read all cautions on meds. Usually have to treat Cories' tanks half strength with many meds if you have to treat them.

Keep water pristine. Test water. I'd do a 25-30% PWC just because.

Cories are considered sensitive fish. Read all cautions on meds. Usually have to treat Cories' tanks half strength with many meds if you have to treat them.

I've been doing daily water changes. I can't quarantine him. It was just suggested by a friend to try salt. Since I'm now being told it will hurt my other fish, I'm stuck waiting to see if it clears up on its own.

It actually looks like the white headed pimple that is the beginning of hole in the head disease. Once the pimple pops it will leave a hole which will continue to expand if treatment isn't given. Someone on the forum is having this issue right now with an angelfish they have. Personally I don't think I'd wait to treat it.

It's pink not white. I researched hole in the head when someone suggested that. This doesn't look like that. I've researched the signs I've seen and have come up with nothing. The only thing I can do is wait.

I have found most species of corydoras to be very hardy. I would actually consider dwarf gouramis to be far more delicate. I absolutely agree that treating the fish seperately would be ideal. In fact, I wouldn't run an aquarium w/o a QT available, and salt ruining plants is definitely one of the reasons. But if you don't have a QT, and it's worth it to you to save the fish, I would pick up meds for it as soon as you can. I just wouldn't expect it to clear up on it's own, if at all. If no treatments are available to you all you can really do is frequent PWC's. Good luck, I hope it pulls through.

I have found most species of corydoras to be very hardy. I would actually consider dwarf gouramis to be far more delicate. I absolutely agree that treating the fish seperately would be ideal. In fact, I wouldn't run an aquarium w/o a QT available, and salt ruining plants is definitely one of the reasons. But if you don't have a QT, and it's worth it to you to save the fish, I would pick up meds for it as soon as you can. I just wouldn't expect it to clear up on it's own, if at all. If no treatments are available to you all you can really do is frequent PWC's. Good luck, I hope it pulls through.

I would love to save my fish if I had the slightest idea what is wrong with him. I've been doing the water changes. I've researched everything that has been suggested to me as to what the problem could be. I've researched the signs I've seen. I got no idea what it is. Until somehow we all figure out what is wrong, the only thing I can do is water changes and wait.

You probably won't be able to get a definite diagnosis for a pink bump. Best case scenario is you will get some ideas of what it could be.

Corydoras and Epsom Salt

Hello Betta...

Unless you have a degree in fish biology, you can't be sure if your fish has a problem or not. My advice would be to start a bit more aggressive water change routine than normal. Changing out 10 percent more water will improve the water chemistry and the improved water can often help the fish overcome a minor health issue. Large, weekly water changes are the key to a stable water chemistry.

You can add a bit of standard aquarium salt, Kosher salt or commercial canning salt, about a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. Your fish and plants will be fine. My Corys have been in slightly brackish water for close to 10 years with no problems. My plants are fine too.

Epsom salt has very little sodium and is used to treat constipation in aquarium fish, so stick with the aquarium salt to treat the skin problems.

Just a couple of thoughts. You're ultimately the boss.

B

Back
Top Bottom