Corys and veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I remember hearing something about giving blanched veggies to cory catfish. I've tried both spinach and kale but they just ignore it.
Do they eat veggies? If so which ones? Are they just not hungry?

Thanks in advance, these are my first corys.

Corydoras

So I remember hearing something about giving blanched veggies to cory catfish. I've tried both spinach and kale but they just ignore it.
Do they eat veggies? If so which ones? Are they just not hungry?

Thanks in advance, these are my first corys.

Hello Sara...

You don't need to jump through any hoops to feed your fish. Just feed a variety of flakes, freeze dried and some frozen foods. Add some wafer and pellet food too. Tetra, Hikari and Sally's San Fran all have good products.

B

Hi my corys loved courgette and cucumber especially when i blanched them.

Thanks. I have sinking pellets and they scavenge whatever my tetras let sink. I was just wondering i it was an important part of the diet.

Corydoras

Thanks. I have sinking pellets and they scavenge whatever my tetras let sink. I was just wondering i it was an important part of the diet.

Sara...

Corydoras will eat any foods left by other fish. Any quality diet that includes wafers and pellets will provide all the nutrition the fish need. If you want to go to the effort of preparing vegetables, then focus on the organic kind. Just remove whatever isn't eaten after a few hours. Tell me about your water change routine. Pure water conditions are especially important to species of Corydoras.

B

I do a 20% WC weekly and siphon out the gravel every other week. If that needs to be done more often let me know.

Corydoras

I do a 20% WC weekly and siphon out the gravel every other week. If that needs to be done more often let me know.

Sara...

If you do the math, a 20 percent water change weekly isn't enough. You're still leaving 80 percent of the pollutants in the water. The fish add to the pollution every day. i keep Corys too and change out half or more of the tank water weekly. This removes most of the toxic water and the toxins that are left are diluted to a safe level in all the new, treated tap water. Since you have to get out the equipment to change the water anyway, why not take a few more minutes and remove and replace most of the water? Gradually work up to a 50 percent or more change weekly. Your fish will be much healthier.

B

I'll do that instead. I only have 3 cory and I know they prefer to be kept in a group of at least 6 but i have to make sure water quality is good enough for these ones first.
Either that or I have to trade my tetras for a smaller fish.

Corydoras and Water Changes

maybe a smaller 25% 2 times a week would be less of a shock?

Hello sas...

There won't be a shock to the fish, if you gradually work up to the much larger, weekly water changes. Doing two smaller water changes, means getting out the equipment twice as often. The smaller water changes make a smaller difference in the water chemistry, yes. But, it also means the pollutants stay in the tank longer.

B

Back
Top Bottom