Corys hiding suddenly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. I have 3 peppered corys--one female I know for sure, one male I'm pretty sure, one I'm not so sure. They've always been very gregarious, always out and about, checking things out. This last week, though, they've been staying in the back left corner amongst the Amazon Sword plants and only come out occasionally to see what's to eat. The water parameters are actually better than they had been previously--had a mini-cycle or something that made everything shoot up and it's finally back down to .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 10 to 20 nitrates. Could they be spawning?

No ideas on why they decided to turn hermit all of the sudden?

Did you move around the decor? Or change your lighting schedule? Change your food? Add new fish? All of those things could have them acting a little different. Give them some time and see what happens. But also corys should be in school of at least 5. So maybe get a few more.

I'm planning on moving them to the 55 gallon as soon as it's up and running and adding more, no worries. I had planned on 5 in the ten gallon, but decided not enough room.

Decor change and an addition of frozen food happened about three weeks ago and it's only been in the last week that they've started hiding in the back corner, but it could have something to do with it. The 55 gallon got set up beside the ten gallon last week and they're in the corner opposite...hmm. That may have something to do with it. I didn't consider that since it wasn't in the tank.

My peppered corys go through this too one day they'll be out and about proud and then this morning they were both hidden in a hole in my rock took me ages to find them!! Lol

So they're just weird. Cool *lol*. ^_^

They're out today (kind of....I get glimpses *lol*). I was reading up on spawning and it said a temperature drop will bring it on--just so happens the cats (furry ones--not the fish ones :D ) knocked the power strip out of the wall socket this weekend while I was away and the water temperature dropped dramatically. Do they hide while spawning? *lol*

Mine haven't the female gets very active swimming about and my males pursue he terribly until she lets them fertilise the eggs shes holding.
They are super cool fish I must agree :D

So probably not spawning. Oh well. One can hope. Baby corys would be pretty cool. Folks don't understand when I explain that I love the betta because he's beautiful, but I love the corys because they're adorable. Adorable is not a word most folks associate with fish. >.>

^_^

Back
Top Bottom