Corys question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

avcc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, can someone help, i got 4 corys yesterday which ive never owned b4 can anyone tell me anything about them. They r bottom dwellers so why is mine spending all there time swimming up and down the side of the tank. Ive watched to c if they keep going for air but they dont. Its like they enjoy playing in the current from my filter cos they keep going up n down n in circles on the side my filter flow hits. Is this normal?
My water is tested and its fine.
In my tank is platys swordtails n a pleco.
Any info would be great. Thanks in advance :)
Ive included a pic of them

Attachments

• image-2635950769.jpg
    image-2635950769.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 150
They're so cute!!! Congrats. :D

My corys were always crazy, and the only time they stayed on the bottom was during the day.

Thanks for replying. Mine wont even stay on the bottom thru the day. They r still swimming around like crazy now. Its like they r doing figure of 8s at the min but wots strange also is my platys look like they r joining in. Do u think its there way of settling in a new tank?

Our corys did that a lot to start with. They used to swim up for air, but now they just swim up the sides of the glass and back down again. They do swim along the bottom too, rummaging through the gravel :)
I don't think it's a sign of an unhealthy fish, just an active one :)
Corys are so much fun. They've got real character :)

Arh brillient i thought id best ask cos ive never had corys b4 n i just wanted to check this was normal behaviour. They r deffinately so much fun to watch tho. They play in the bubbles as well but i have also seen then rumage thru the sand. Thank u for replying im glad they r just active n playfull :)

I have two pepper coreys, they are great fish! But I have one that lost a lot of color. It acts fine, and it helps me tell the difference between them!

I've noticed my cory's only swim up and down the glass if they haven't been fed in a few days. The day after putting in sinking pelets for them at night, they never seem do it.

Ill have to give sinking pellets a try then. Ive only had them since yesterday n ive only so far given them bloodworm n flake. Thanks for that :)

I love my corys also, they really liked Hikary pellets for bottom feeders.

Just an observation avcc, try not to write like texting in a phone, because not all the readers in these forums are English speaking, some uf us struggle a little with that.

Last edited:
Well i feed my pleco algae wafers so maybe mine will like them. Ill give them a try till i get some pellets.
Oh and sorry about using text language. I use my phone to write on this forum so i didnt even think about it.

Just to confirm, this does seem normal. Mine did it when young but are now old fish and now sit there all day with each other under their driftwood, they'll usually take a gulp or air occasionally. They'll become active at night now or when feeding happens.

I'm mad about cory's as well, really not that fussy. I have 3 pepper corys and also panda corys. Have attached a pic of 2 of the 3 panda corys. I noticed that they love swimming up and down the tank against the glass for the algae whereas the pepper corys only worry whats at the bottom.

Attachments

• Visser 013.jpg
    Visser 013.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 101
I love the panda corys, i think im going to get some pandas and see how different they are to the ones ive got :)

I broke the algae wafers into pieces for the corys. Mine didn't have alot of patience, and would chanse the giant wafer around for about 2 minutes, then never touch it again. When I broke them up smaller, it would become softer, faster, so they were able to eat it. :)

I have 4 Green Corys and 4 Albino Corys, they are all very active. I feed them algea wafers, shrimp wafers and blood worms. My roomie has some Net Corys I think they are called. They are boring, just sit at the bottom all day. even during feeding time.

I put a whole algae wafer in but i didnt get to see if they liked it cos i fell asleep lol. I have seen them eat bloodworm so thats good. Well believe it or not, ive had them 4 days now and they are still swimming around like crazy and im glad its not just mine that are crazy but at least im happy knowing this is normal.
Thank you everyone for your comments :)

Back
Top Bottom