Cost on 55 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can people post and tell me how much they spent on their 55 gallon aquariums?

Also what do you have in it? :p Such as, Filter, heater, lights, power heads etc...

I (well, husband did as a gift) spent $99 for the tank, about $160 for the pine stand, I think almost $100 for an Eheim filter, probably $40 for two Ebo-Jager heaters, over $200 for lights, and who knows how much for bogwood, plants, Eco-Complete gravel, regular gravel and fish. Then about $40 for a CO2 reactor.

All 55gals are not created equal, because the same tank and stand could be outfitted with cheap sand, a less expensive filter, less expensive heaters, some rockwork collected locally, and some African cichlids with the standard crummy lights that came with the hood. That would cost substantially less. Trade rockwork for silk plants and tetras and you are also in business for a little less $$.

$99 for tank, hood, and light is the most common price I see in the stores around here

-brent

ahhh 99 for thank hood and light??

I have to pay 99 JUST for the tank and none of the light or hood :-(

Right - PetsMart has them most always with hood and light (really, really crummy light, 2 15-watt bulbs - can't hardly see the fish!) for $99. Don't feel bad, though, now you have the opportunity to get a decent hood.

If I could go back and instead of making do with the cheapest, like I did, and went ahead and spent the money on the decent equpiment in the first place I would have spent less in the long run, since I always wind up upgrading at some point. Plus I would not have the shelves of dusty unused poor quality stuff that I have now, lol! Can't bring myself to pitch it, though. :?

$99 for the tank
$99 for the stand
$76 for lighting capable of 4 watts per gallon (just not using full strength)

plus heater, filter, etc...

About $450 for Oceanic tank, Oak stand (had to make it match the bookshelves, according to the spouse), Oak canopy, light, glass tank lids (boughtsix years ago). $170 for two fluval 404's. $50 for spiffy in line heater so my perfectly fine submersible wouldn't be seen hanging in the tank, $50 for gravel (couldn't be the cheap kind, had to 'go with' my office desk color according to spouse), $50 for air pump and accesories that I put away cuz I hated the noise, $75 in nice silk and plastic plants, and about $75 in decorations I already owned from previous incarnations of this tank. Now that I add all this up, I kinda regret responding to this post! :roll: Sheez, I already had the tank and stand, and I still spent quite a bunch just to reactivate it with newer equipment!

I find that the more I become aware of what equipment is avaiable, the more I want. I must be just a big kid wanting cool toys. LOL

I havent ever boguht one but have some pirces from what i know it costs around 500 for a non-cichlid 55gal- and around 700-850 for a cichlid tank..

Have to buy lots of rock for cichlids. ;)

Dan :)

Dan that is crazy...I have priced quite a few 55 gals...and My prices is around $300 and if I go used...only about $200

55 gallon turtle tank
tank - $0
stand - $100 in supplies, also holds my 20gal long
filter - xp3 $80
lights - $40 24" strip light, $20 clip on light w/uv bulb
rocks - $4 Home Depot + various collected rocks FREE!

$244, not bad

add my 20 gallon to the total because it's part of the same display

tank - $0
filter - $30
lights - $30
gravel - $4 Home Depot

Total of $310 for a 55 and a 20.

The 55 will soon hold my baby mbuna cichlids as soon as I move the turtle out. Turtles are a big pain in an apartment. :(

Back
Top Bottom