Could i add a ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could, but might have conflict between Nu-nu and your future ram over territory. Sometimes rams are aggressive, so keep that in mind. Whenever my cories get too close to her, my ram snaps at them and they flee.

bruinsbro1997 said:
You could, but might have conflict between Nu-nu and your future ram over territory. Sometimes rams are aggressive, so keep that in mind. Whenever my cories get too close to her, my ram snaps at them and they flee.

Hmmm...got it. Nunu, i hate to say it, it pretty stupid. He will probably swim circles around the ram, getting bit all the while. Should i get a girl or guy? Also, how hard it it to keep the perimeters perfect?

Hmmm...got it. Nunu, i hate to say it, it pretty stupid. He will probably swim circles around the ram, getting bit all the while. Should i get a girl or guy? Also, how hard it it to keep the perimeters perfect?

Depends. It's all on personality. Males are very colorful, but females can also be if you take care of them right (remember that pic I posted? That was a female :))

The key is consistency. Consistent food, consistent water changes, consistent parameters. I've fed mine on Omega One for the past one-two years (hard to remember when I got it), change my water weekly 40-70% all the time, and nitrates never spike above 40 ppm, pH is consistent at 7.6, and no visible signs of ammonia or nitrites.

That's just my setup. Consistency is best, which is why you have to be top-notch with them. And even then they die randomly for no reason.

I still cant convince my bro to do this...darn

That sucks :( Maybe get him something especially nice for Christmas? :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Depends. It's all on personality. Males are very colorful, but females can also be if you take care of them right (remember that pic I posted? That was a female :))

The key is consistency. Consistent food, consistent water changes, consistent parameters. I've fed mine on Omega One for the past one-two years (hard to remember when I got it), change my water weekly 40-70% all the time, and nitrates never spike above 40 ppm, pH is consistent at 7.6, and no visible signs of ammonia or nitrites.

That's just my setup. Consistency is best, which is why you have to be top-notch with them. And even then they die randomly for no reason.

That sucks :( Maybe get him something especially nice for Christmas? :)

That was a female? Wow! Either way i get some great colors then! Well i am pretty consistent with my water changes and perimeters. I thought rams were very sensative about trates? The only thing i do differently is my feeding. We usually feed 3-4 different types of foods a week. (pellets, flakes, bloodworms, mysis) Is this bad?

I did get him somthing nice! So maybe on christmas day he will turn around lol:)

That was a female? Wow! Either way i get some great colors then! Well i am pretty consistent with my water changes and perimeters. I thought rams were very sensative about trates? The only thing i do differently is my feeding. We usually feed 3-4 different types of foods a week. (pellets, flakes, bloodworms, mysis) Is this bad?

I did get him somthing nice! So maybe on christmas day he will turn around lol:)

At least I think it is. It looked different from my past male, so that's all I can say. Doesn't have a very solid black dot and not as aggressive as my previous one so I think it is :)

They are, luckily I got mine from a very very quality LFS awhile back, got three from them, and that one is still going.

I don't know anything bout diet, sorry :(

He should, it's Christmas! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
At least I think it is. It looked different from my past male, so that's all I can say. Doesn't have a very solid black dot and not as aggressive as my previous one so I think it is :)

They are, luckily I got mine from a very very quality LFS awhile back, got three from them, and that one is still going.

I don't know anything bout diet, sorry :(

He should, it's Christmas! :)

The ones at my lfs are pretty good it seems, they have been there awhile and they are all still going strong! (i think)

Hmm i wonder if the diet will affect them, anyone else thim, anyone else know anything about this?

He isnt coming around. Iv asked about 100 times, now i have to make a compromise;)

Don't buy Rams or any exotic fish for that matter from Petco or a chain store. Not that something is wrong with the water (usually yes) or the health of the livestock (usually yes) but they mainly keep the following in a 10g-

(Yesterday at Petsmart when I was looking for a new filter)-

7Bolivian Rams
8German Blue Rams
3CoryCats
3Otocinclys
1Kribensis.

BR can coexist with GBR but if there more than 6 rams of one kind in that tank, it's stressed and probably unhealthy.

Just a heads up!

Mine has dug what appears to be a tunnel to the center of the earth (lol)

Dunno if she is preggo but she is hovering by the flat surface of a decoration and being vicious.

She seems big.

I have a gnawing wonder if eggs are about to be laid, lol.

Gboy, are you getting a GBR or a Bolivian? I think GBR's are smaller. At least they were at the store.

QuietPlotter said:
Don't buy Rams or any exotic fish for that matter from Petco or a chain store. Not that something is wrong with the water (usually yes) or the health of the livestock (usually yes) but they mainly keep the following in a 10g-

(Yesterday at Petsmart when I was looking for a new filter)-

7Bolivian Rams
8German Blue Rams
3CoryCats
3Otocinclys
1Kribensis.

BR can coexist with GBR but if there more than 6 rams of one kind in that tank, it's stressed and probably unhealthy.

Just a heads up!

Mine has dug what appears to be a tunnel to the center of the earth (lol)

Dunno if she is preggo but she is hovering by the flat surface of a decoration and being vicious.

She seems big.

I have a gnawing wonder if eggs are about to be laid, lol.

Gboy, are you getting a GBR or a Bolivian? I think GBR's are smaller. At least they were at the store.

Ya i go to a lfs, and they have all the same type of ram in a tank (even though the tank is small)

Thats cool you could have babies! Hopefully you have another tank for them!

And if it were up to me, i would be getting a german blue ram today...but it isnt...lol

QuietPlotter said:
I have a 29 but it's emptyyyy!

Lol.

Ok so any other suggestions guys, get rid of the featherfin and get a GBR? would it fight with my angels? Do i need caves for them?

If you get rid of the cat it may work. Rams take up the whole bottom of the tank IME and need space, so I think it may peacefully co-exist with Nu-Nu, although I don't know how it would do with Nu-Nu and Phineas. :)

I agree that you have a lot going on in that tank already and IMO, adding a ram really wouldn't work out in the long run with your current stock. But hey, you guys can always save your money for another tank. ;)

No offense, but hasn't this same question been addressed several times already in this thread?

severum mama said:
No offense, but hasn't this same question been addressed several times already in this thread?

Lol yep, i would just like more inputs from different people, thats all

Hey guys, quietplotter brought the ph to my attenttion (thanks:)). I have a very high ph, is that bad for the rams? Its around 8.4 but ill test again.

How do i lower this (without weird meds). I know most fish can adapt..but rams are more sensative!

Thanks!

Depends. If you get a good ram from a breeder, they are much hardier than the little weaklings from many stores that drop dead for no apparent reason. I suggest you look around in your area to see if anybody with similar water to your raises/breeds them successfully. Yeah, that is high, but in theory some of them can adjust.
You can also try PMing aqua chem about that particular question. He has seen rams live and even breed in pretty high pH, but he would have to tell you the specifics. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Depends. If you get a good ram from a breeder, they are much hardier than the little weaklings from many stores that drop dead for no apparent reason. I suggest you look around in your area to see if anybody with similar water to your raises/breeds them successfully. Yeah, that is high, but in theory some of them can adjust.
You can also try PMing aqua chem about that particular question. He has seen rams live and even breed in pretty high pH, but he would have to tell you the specifics. :)

Cool thanks absolut! Would i just google to find local sellers? Ill ask my lfs what their ph is, so i could get a comparasin. What about the drip method? How long should it take?

Ill definatly pm aquachem...im very interested thanks!:)

I float+water from cup acclimate, a bit more brunt but it's ok.

Despite websites saying to not feed new fish for 24hours, I feed them 24 minutes later. It sort of assures them it's a good environment.

Yeah bro, I googled "Fish Store Jupiter Florida" and "Pet Store Jupiter Florida" they come up

Yeah, I would both google it and ask the petstores. :) Honestly, I have never drip acclimated a fish before, so I am not too sure how long it takes. My fish all just get floated, have some water added to their bags, and then netted into their perspective tanks.

QuietPlotter said:
I float+water from cup acclimate, a bit more brunt but it's ok.

Despite websites saying to not feed new fish for 24hours, I feed them 24 minutes later. It sort of assures them it's a good environment.

Cool, thanks man. Your a great help!

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, I would both google it and ask the petstores. :) Honestly, I have never drip acclimated a fish before, so I am not too sure how long it takes. My fish all just get floated, have some water added to their bags, and then netted into their perspective tanks.

Haha same:) but i found some tubing today and decided to go for it. It is really simple!

Back
Top Bottom