Could I add more to this tank (20g)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 long with 8 neon tetras and 1 GBR. I was wondering if I could add more fish to it. It's been set up for over a year. I was thinking of adding some rummy nose tetras, some gold neons, a pearl gourami, or some pymgy or panda corys. I haven't really looked into these options, they were just ideas.

im not an expert but cories would probably be a good choice cause they would stay near the bottom of the tank.

Yea id say you could ad som tetras in there at least 3-4 because they like to school

I checked out Aqadvisor and they said I was only 42% stocked. I'd only ever use that as a basic guideline, but it seems I can add more fish.

Can anyone think of yellow tetras other then the lemon tetra? I think some yellow would really add some contrast.

try the glow-light tetras they are orange which is close to yellow. also I think you should only add one more school of tetras and you would be stocked

I'm thinking either 6 rummy nosed tetras or 5 panda corys. Comments?

YYou could try to get some black neon tetras to school with your neon tetras

I was never a fan of the black neons, they are a little too plain for my taste.

I'd go with panda cories because they are pretty active too and they also eat the leftover foods on the bottom.

Tropical said:
I was never a fan of the black neons, they are a little too plain for my taste.

Oh. Nevermind then. :) what about a bristlenose pleco?

Either one of those would work. If I were you, I would add 6 panda corys and a few golden neons. They will still school with your others, are small, and have the yellowish color that would add contrast. Severum momma sells gold neons and they look awesome!

Either one of those would work. If I were you, I would add 6 panda corys and a few golden neons. They will still school with your others, are small, and have the yellowish color that would add contrast. Severum momma sells gold neons and they look awesome!

Sounds good. I'm thinking the corys and maybe 4 gold neons.

Do you think I could get julii cory cats instead of panda? They are a little less expensive.

Sounds good. I'm thinking the corys and maybe 4 gold neons.

Do you think I could get julii cory cats instead of panda? They are a little less expensive.
Yes. Julii are the same size so it should be fine. Personally, I think the julii are cuter.:)

Black neons won't school with regular neons, black neons aren't even in the same genus, they just get the name because they have a similar shape.

Is the tank a 20H or 20L?
The first post says the tank is 20 long.
I didn't know that about black neons. Good to know.:)

jetajockey said:
Black neons won't school with regular neons, black neons aren't even in the same genus, they just get the name because they have a similar shape.

Is the tank a 20H or 20L?

Oh, I thought black neons were just different colors as neon tetras... good to know.. this is a good example why we have scientific names, and why it is always reliable if you look at the scientific name.

I am getting a twenty long soon, and need to get some good ideas for stocking... I will be reading this...

Black neons and neons are different species, they won't school together.

I have both gold neons (blue lined albino neons) and regular neons, and they do school together but the problem is, they don't look good swimming together. I wouldn't recommend it, it kinda ruins the visual effect.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Black neons and neons are different species, they won't school together.

I have both gold neons (blue lined albino neons) and regular neons, and they do school together but the problem is, they don't look good swimming together. I wouldn't recommend it, it kinda ruins the visual effect.

Ya, we know. Jetajockey said that a while ago.

Back
Top Bottom