Could I keep an aquarium outside?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I live in Arizona about 30miles west of Phoenix in one of those manufactured homes. I have a 100 gallon aquarium I would like to get set up but the only place I think could support the weight of it would be on my concrete back porch. would it be even possible to keep something in it with out worrying about the high temperatures?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless they use some substandard construction in Arizona, I would expect the tank could be kept inside. The problem with having it outside, and you already mentioned it, is the temps, which I believe can get very high for much of the year. I also assume that in winter, the temps can get lower than normal for most tropical fish.

In Arizona I'm guessing you do not have a basement? If so than your floor is a concrete pad that could support any tank really...

Outside Tank

So I live in Arizona about 30miles west of Phoenix in one of those manufactured homes. I have a 100 gallon aquarium I would like to get set up but the only place I think could support the weight of it would be on my concrete back porch. would it be even possible to keep something in it with out worrying about the high temperatures?

Hello bubba...

I think so. The tank would need to be shaded for the most part. Just a little direct sunlight would allow algae to grow very well and act as any standard aquarium plant would by filtering the tank water.

You'd definitely need hardy fish that would tolerate the warm water in the summer and the cooler water in the winter. Zebra Danios would be my choice. They can handle changes in water chemistry very well, and thrive in cooler and warmer water.

I would emerse the bare roots of the Chinese evergreen with the leaves above the water. This land plant is great for keeping the water in larger tanks free of the more toxic forms of nitrogen like ammonia and nitrite. You wouldn't need to change the tank water nearly as often.

B

Well I pretty much live in a mobile home. So there is no concrete floor. That is the only reason I don't think I could keep it inside. But if you guys think it could support it I'll give it a try.

I would get under there and see if you could beef it up first.. Otherwise I wouldn't..

OK. Thanks brookster. I'll see what I could do

The temperature range the fish would have to handle is just way too much. Zebra Danios are hardy, but not hardy enough that they can handle 100+ degree temps, even in the shade. You could get away with it if you lived in a more temperate location, but one of the defining features of any desert location is the large temperature swings.

Ooooff that's tough. I would go under and take a look if you add any supports. Or things like that to support the weight.

I would think a water chiller could help if you really wanted to put it outside. Just be sure to get the correct horsepower.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most chillers and heaters are meant to raise or lower the tank temp by 3 degrees compared to the ambient room temperature. You'll want to get ones rated for tanks about 4-5 times your tanks actual size if you try to go that route...

Back
Top Bottom