Could I? Should I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sure the answer is no, but I've taken a sudden interest in Oscars... Could I somehow work it out to have one in my 55 gallon?My list of fishies is down below. :D

Don't they grow up to 14 inches max? I think almost all your other fish would be lunch. But an oscar would give you a great excuse to get a huge tank! :p

Oscars are gorgeous, and then they grow up. :grin:

afaik, they'll eat everything!

Keep in mind that anything you add to your Oscar tank should be added while both fish are still juveniles. It is often the case that Oscars will grow "attached" to fish they grow up with and will live happily with fish that would otherwise be considered a threat or a food source. Keep in mind that anything you add to your Oscar tank should be added while both fish are still juveniles. It is often the case that Oscars will grow "attached" to fish they grow up with and will live happily with fish that would otherwise be considered a threat or a food source.

( from http://www.worldcichlids.com/fishprofiles/oscarprofile.html )

I would say definetly not. Oscars are not only agressive fish they also place a huge strain on your bioload, having not only the potential to grow huge but also being messier than even their size would indicate.

Oscars are lovely fish, but you should really set up a large aquarium designed around them, rather than add one to your existing setup. There is another thread on here about Oscar tankmates currently have a look at that and see if any of those would interest you.

I would love to have an Oscar one of my Uncles has a gorgeous foot long beastie which will actually fetch a ball! He keeps that in a 75 gallon, with 2 Koi bizarrely -not that I would recommend that!-.

Naah, let's not do that :p Wouldn't work, unless you want your other fish to become meals in a couple of months :lol:

Maybe some purty keyhole cichlids? A nice pair? :wink:

You already knew the answer before posting. :wink: You said as much so I assume you just wanted confirmation. Sounds like another tank is in order eh? :mrgreen:

It seems to me that most problems casn be solved by buying more fish tanks......Well except the whole space for more fish tanks and that lottery win we are all in need of....

haha okay, I figured so much... just wishful thinking I suppose! Thanks guys, you keep me out of trouble :D

Back
Top Bottom