Could use some clarification on siamese algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone,

Ok I need some expert advise on Siamese algae eaters before I make my purchase. When researching I come up with Epalzeorhynchus siamensis and Crossocheilus siamensis both have seemingly identical looks and descriptions (ex. clear fins and a black lateral line running to end of tail) as well as most sites claiming they have the "Real" thing. So my question is simply, which one is the "real" workhorse when it comes to tank maintenance or are they both equally qualified for the job and how do I truly distinguish them?

There are about 5 or 6 different species all passed off as Siamese algae eaters. Few of them are imported and the true SAE is supposed to be an excellent algae control fish. I gave up and got a BN pleco. I'd really like an orange one though...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really like my Flying Fox, busy little guys & they ve really cleaned up my DW.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395350201.774227.jpg
This is a pic from Google. Mine are a really nice silver color.

The two scientific names you have posted are the same fish. Scientists are continuously re-classifying species depending on physiological studies. That first latin name is the old name. The fish always used to be known as the siamese flying fox, but as new similar species become available, confusion sets in and now there are three species known as flying foxes!

Ditto what Pip Walters said.

I love that species. I have two of them and they do a great job in my planted 55 gallon, even though one of them is now well over three inches long; folks say they stop eating algae when they get big. He hasn't slowed down one bit!

In my experience i have had the Flying Fox and a Siamese Algae Eater and the SAE did a way better job on the algae. The FF got too aggressive for my tank chasing everyone around when he got bigger. The SAE did stop doing such a good job on the algae when he got larger but i might attribute that to me being a heavy feeder. I used the website you linked to as a reference too.
I would try to get the type without the gold/light stripe above the black stripe.

It still can be a crap shoot with mislabeling the fishes since they look so much alike. Even with the Latin names.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for all the helpful input guys, I certainly feel more confident about being able to purchase the right fish at this point.

Back
Top Bottom