Couple of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mothi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So far what I have been thinking of doing to my 140g ornate bichir tank is:

2 250 watt Ebo Jager heaters
1 Aquaclear 500 Power Filter (might not be enough?)
? bags of Black Tahitian Moon Sand
2 bags of Eco Complete (to use in a sectioned part of the tank for plants)
driftwood and large ornaments
floating island
black background
?? watt PC or flourecent lights
some live plants on one side of tank.

The problem is I don't have a stand for the tank? My car is much too small to carry a 140g tank stand, so transporting one I found for cheap is impossible. Is there anything I can make at home to substitute so I don't have to put it on the floor? Also, I don't like how tall regular aquarium stands are since I am not a tall person and would have to use something to raise me high enough to work in the tank only to feel like I will fall in...

Does everything else sound good?

You could always build your own stand if your handy.
I have done several of my own and they were fun to build.

I've also heard about people that just use 2x4's and cinder blocks.

Can you elaborate about not having to put the tank/stand on the floor? I think that is going to be required, unless I misunderstand. :)

Your sand can be calculated using the handy "sand bed" calculator here on AA, it works for just about any substrate.

Your lighting needs to be very carefully planned. You might want to try to stay under 3wpg on the side of the tank where the plants are, unless you want to get into CO2 injection, but in a large tank like this light tends to scatter so it will depend on what specific lights you have your eye on.

I am 5' tall so I know what you mean about feeling like you are going to fall in if you can get high enough to reach the bottom - arms are only so long! I do like the tank high enough to be viewed when standing as well as sitting, so I just use stools as a compromise. I think a DIY stand is definitely in order here.

Back
Top Bottom