Couple questions from a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheira

Aquarium Advice Newbie
In my tank I have 5 corydoras and 1 pleco.

What is the best aquatic plant for corydoras? I currently have a couple sword plants, but they don't seem to be too fond of them.
I used to have hornwort, which they seemed to like because it would catch bits of food and stuff floating around the tank and then they'd swim around and nibble at the bits. However since I live in Canada the hornwort didn't like the reduced sunlight in the winter time and it basically just made a huge mess in my tank, causing too many water changes and filter cleanings, so I can't have that again. XD

For my pleco I currently have a small barkless piece of willow branch hanging out as some drift wood for him. Is there anything else I should add to make him more comfortable?

How big is your tank and what kind of pleco do you have. Generally corydoras like all plants and prefer heavily planted tanks. If the pleco is a common one then it will get huge and plecos are huge waste producers. Driftwood is a must for plecos so it's good you have some in there. They also like a place to hide.

I got the pleco as a wee lad (or lass I have no idea lol), and my current tank is a 10 gallon to save space. However I have a 25 gallon waiting in the wings, because he /is/ a common pleco. My mom had a common pleco that grew to 12" (and she's seen them bigger), so I know they can get huge. I'm monitoring his growth carefully and I'll figure out a spot (and probably build a platform/table thing) for the 25 gallon tank when he looks like he might start needing it soon. My mom's helping me out with that one, so I know I won't hurt him with my inexperience lol.
I have a little cave for the cories and pleco (because they all like to hide), as well as some little hidey-spots that I created with flat rocks and other things.

If he's a big waste producer, is there something extra you would suggest I do to deal with that?

Back
Top Bottom