couple water questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

holimoli23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm about to start cycling. I tested my tap water with a api master kit. Ammonia-.25 nitrite and nitrate 0. The Ph reads 8.2 tho. Will this come down some as I go through the cycle?

Also, what should I do when I do a pwc?

One other question. When I dose my tank with ammonia, are we talking teaspoons or drops or what? My tank is about 40 gallons.

Thanks for any and all advice!

holimoli23 said:
I'm about to start cycling. I tested my tap water with a api master kit. Ammonia-.25 nitrite and nitrate 0. The Ph reads 8.2 tho. Will this come down some as I go through the cycle?

Also, what should I do when I do a pwc?

One other question. When I dose my tank with ammonia, are we talking teaspoons or drops or what? My tank is about 40 gallons.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Must be nice to have such good tap water. ;) The pH straight out of the tap is not a good indicator of what it will be in your tank. Fill a clean empty milk jug and drop a bubble stone in it and let it sit overnight then test it's pH. Don't worry about your pH during cycling unless it drops into the low sixes. If it does do a PWC and keep an eye on it.

Procedure for a PWC depends on if you use buckets or a Python type thing.

There is a calculator around here somewhere for ammonia dosing. Check the stickies.

Please read this link if you havent done so already & please ask any questions you may have. I also included the link to the ammonia dosing calculator. The dosage is in mls. If you dont already one, get yourself a baby medicine syringe (measures in mls- 5mls=1teaspoon). Most pahrmacies will give you one for free. You will also need to know the % strength of your ammonia in order to be able to use the calculator. Hope this helps!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Calculator

The water in the tank is the same ph - 8.2. I have already declorinated and have filters and air pump and heater running almost 24 hours

My tank is always 8.3 pH. My fish are fine. As long as it's stable, it's fine. Using a syringe to measure the ammonia makes it easier. For my 45 gallon, I was addin about 5-6 cc. Of ammonia to get to 4ppm. Once your tank is cycled, the ammonia in your tap water should be absorbed by the beneficial bacteria.

I put about half a 5ml medicine spoon in my 30gal for cycling and topped up with drops every day. It depends on the % of ammonia your using. Start small and work your way up to the desired result. doing it yourself and testing will help you gauge it for topping up etc.. I was never too particular about it and got my tank fully cycled in a month.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom