Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

CPD death and pH

Hi all,

Just set up a new 36 gallon tank. Have 25 CPDs, 8 pygmy cories, 3 peacock gudgeons, 4 honey gourami. Fishless cycled the tank over the past 3 weeks, have 0 ammonia, nitrite and low nitrate for the past few days.

Have had 3 CPDs die over the course of the past few days. Also have had the pH drop from around 9 (at tap) to around 6.6. This didn't happen during the fishless cycle (went from around 8 to 7.5 in fishless). I do have some driftwood in the tank but introduced that in the beginning before fishless cycle so I don't think the pH drop is due to that.

General hardness and alkalinity are both zero, so the water is really soft. Is there anything I should do to correct this? Would crushed coral in the filter be good? Baking soda?

Tank is moderately planted and I'm hoping to start dosing ferts and excel when they come in the mail in the next few days.

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would recommend using Kent's
https://www.kentmarine.com/products/...rbufferdkh.htm

It will tell you on the label the process of using it. Also wondering about whether if you have any magnesium in the water - also necessary for fish and keeping the pH stable.

This is long but informative
https://users.cs.duke.edu/~narten/faq/chemistry.html

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cpd, death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com