CPOs & Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This will vary from one cray to the next. My advice would be to remove the famale once you notice she is berried. Put her in an isolation tank, make her super comfy with hidey holes and moss and floaters. Once you see the babes running about return her to her tank and keep the babies in there to grow them out. Once they are large enough that they start to turn orange, they should be safe with the mature crays.

Thanks for the advice! Do you think a 2.5g tank would be big enough for the isolation tank?

Yes. I would mimic her regular tank parameters. Easiest way to do this would be to just fill the 2.5 with water from the main tank at the time you are moving her. A little bit of cycled filter media from the main tank placed in the 2.5's filter will make it instantly cycled for her. A single CPO has a very small bio-load so you should be able to do this without experiencing any mini cycle.

No prob. Another thing I thought to mention, in case it wasn't already in the plans, is to make sure the filter is safe for the babies. A sponge filter is great or if it's a hang on back style you can rubberband a peice of pantyhose around the intake tube. :)

Reactions: HN1
Great advice from siva. I have nothing to add other than as soon as the babies are released (as close to that as you can get), move mama back. She'll eat as many as the male. We lost our first brood because of the mama. :(

Do they harass each other or are they peaceful? How many CPOs do you think would go comfortably in a heavily planted 10g?

Hmm, that's hard for me to say for sure. I have a male and female in my 29 gal community. I am setting up a breeding tank for them since I've yet to see the female berried in their current tank. The m and f are peaceful with eachother, but I wouldn't be suprised if males had some territorial battles from time to time..I'm really not sure yet. I probably wouldn't start with more than 3-4 pairs in a 10 gal..and then if it's totally peaceful you could add more.

How do they do in your community tank? What fish do you have, and do the crayfish ever go after the fish or vice versa?

They are with dwarf shrimp, various snails, julii and panda corydoras, glo-fish, a female betta, dwarf gourami, glo-fish, hillstream loaches, and various other fish have come and gone from the tank in the time I've had them. They do just fine. If someone comes down towards them fast and spooks them or gets too close when they've just grabbed up some food they might give a little warning poke but that's the extent of it and judging by the reaction of the fish, it's only mildly irritating. I've never seen them actually pinch anyone. I've had good luck with the fish I've kept with them and the crays have never been injured. One time I added a female betta who started going after shrimp and seemed too interested in the crays so I removed her right away. Otherwise no problems. I think I've had pretty good luck though ;)

I was definitely nervous at first..I spent $20 a pop for them!

Yeah I'm kind of nervous to be honest, I might put them in a species only tank when I get them. But even then aren't they aggressive towards each other? I've heard conflicting reports.

Yeah I'm kind of nervous to be honest, I might put them in a species only tank when I get them. But even then aren't they aggressive towards each other? I've heard conflicting reports.

Yeah I'm really interested to see for myself. Hopefully I can get some babies out of this pair and find out. I certainly can't afford to order more and I'll probably never find them locally. The $20 a peice price tag was before shipping lol. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom