Crabs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

P_Wrenn_12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a crab a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else has any crabs and wanted to know if you feed them anything? Thanks!

I don't know the type but I have a picture if it helps at all.
Thank You!

Attachments

• image-2724604711.jpg
    image-2724604711.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 77
aw, fiddlers are so cute. I used to catch them all the time in the saltwater marshes around my house in Savannah. Are they brackish or SW in the aquarium?

you really should do some research before buying a pet...knowing what to feed it and its basic requirements is quite important...i hope someone can help you out and give you some good info, look up info on fiddler crabs and see what you can find.

aw, fiddlers are so cute. I used to catch them all the time in the saltwater marshes around my house in Savannah. Are they brackish or SW in the aquarium?

Brackish.

I ALWAYS do my research before buying fish, I am not new at this. My "fish guy" told me that they will find stuff to eat in my tank, just like a bottom feeder would. He said I shouldn't have to give him anything but that doesn't sound right to me. I just want to know what other people have fed theirs.

I got one a few years ago, it just hide all day. Lasted about two weeks, and never ate.

A buddy of mine had two and both of them died within a couple weeks as well. I have had mine for more than two weeks and I see him all the time. I just couldn't live with myself if he was starving down there.

I run into fiddler crabs like this in the wild all the time around boat launches in brackish areas. From what I've seen, they live primarily on land, and they live in large colonies. They are easy to find because you will see lots of little holes in the dirt. They use these as refuge when danger (i.e. a human being) comes walking along.

So if I was to do a fiddler tank I would section off part of the tank to allow a deep bed of sand for them to burrow into.

Back
Top Bottom