Crabs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maco5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
Well once again I am asking a newbie question!
I am thinking of adding some type of crab to my goldfish tank.
There is only 1 fan tail in the tank, and 4 ghost shrimp.

I really enjoy watching the shrimp come out at feeding time, but if there is no food, they are off hiding.
Is a crab going to be a problem with the others?
Which type should I get (if any)?

I had a bad experience with a lobster that I don't want to go through again!
Not the lobsters fault, but mine and the LFS that sold him to me.
I didn't know it would grow so big so fast, and the fish store people didn't tell me it would either!
I had to remove him when he got realy big and could have started taking out the fish if he wanted to!
Don't worry........I returned him to the store, and visited him on several occasions until he got a new home!

crabs do not do well with goldfish. I had goldfish and crabs, and the crabs died. They do well with tropical types of fishes. Crabs like waters to be in the 75-80* temps.
I have 6 ghost shrimp, 4 red claw crabs, 2 apple snails, and 4 striped tetras, and they all have been living nicely together....You do want to keep them well fed, I feed them all about 4 times a day, and add peas to the take every other day....the crabs really enjoy the peas, they will eat the middle, and then leave the skins.....I have used canned peas, but have not tried the frozen ones.....I drain them peas, and rinse them off before adding them to the tank........hope this helps!
Aundrea :fadein:

Crabs also typically need a place to come out of the water, and many of them are brackish.

jlindseyjr said:
Do the red claws need a place to come out of the water? My son has been bugging me to get him one.

From the research I have done on them, since I have them.....They will crawl up any tubes and such, they will get out as mine have done twice so far. If you want to fill your tank 3/4 of the way full, and then put a nice climbing rock so they can climb up and sit above water, that is OK. Although they can live just fine under water. I have also found that some have stated 2 crabs per 10gal. For some might become territorial. I have 4 in my 10 gal. tank, and I feed them about 3-4 times daily. I also put in some peas for them to munch on. I have not seen any agressiveness with mine. I bought mine at petsmart for only 2.00 a piece. They are fun to watch and raise.
Hope all goes well!! I would at least get a pair for your tank. Also make sure that any fish you have are not to slow, or small, for the crabs if they can catch them, will eat them.
Aundrea :D

Back
Top Bottom